Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

The Lower Regions of the Underworld (Again)

Verin’s POV

"Damn him." I muttered, more likely the hundredth time this day so far. I had been wandering around the worst part of the Underworld for hours which was commonly known as the Lower parts of the Underworld. It was taking me a bit longer than I wanted to find an enslaved werewolf.

I glared down at the list he provided me. No way in hell I’m doing that stuff. I snarled mentally. I’d rather slit my own throat. I added in a more of a statement. The list contained a lot of things which were:

A collar, chains, handcuffs, toad tongue, bear guts, eyelashes, razors, rat vomit and I can’t comprehend the list further than that.

Imagine that! That was the list of things I had to get. Don’t get me started on what the other half the list was and that was a to-do list. The very title of the other half even says, "To-Do’s for Verin to do to me"

"Go to Hell and back a hundred times." I grumbled darkly to no one in particular but I wished I would have said it to Uphir.

I could feel the cold, wet mud starting to seep further into my pants by my ankles. I did not bother to mention how my shoes must look like. I already knew it. They would be muddy from bottom to top and gratefully, my shoes aren’t so worn out that water could leak through and make my feet cold. If they had done so, I wouldn’t be a very cheerful demon about now.

I chuckled at my own joke there. I’m already not a cheerful demon. People should fear the worse than that. I thought to myself, shrugging my shoulders and rotating them a little as an attempt to relax myself.

Finally, another dreadful slave house came into view. This one was a bit more underground than the others and was famously known for looking before buying ordeal so the slaves were in cages, on display for everyone. I haven’t been inside one of those yet as the stories were quite to horrid to tempt even myself in there. Now, I’m forced to if I want to find a werewolf replacement.

"That damn wolf better be goddamn happy I didn’t let Uphir get a hold onto him." I hissed to myself. Why do I seem to care though? Damn it, I don’t want to care! Yet he knew deep down that he did care despite his protests and temper tantrums. "Fuck. I don’t want to start becoming the man my father wants me to be!" He kicked a boulder out of anger and ignored the pain that radiated through his body for the action.

I moved away from the boulder, making sure that I didn’t limp as I did so. Grumbling, I kept walking to the slave house that I saw in front of me. It was titled Nouveau Rouge which means new red. Yeah, it was clever, right?

Well, no. The sign was above the opening of the cavern. Yes, it was a cave. The cave oddly had a door in it so everyone knows they tried to build something inside of it. Now, that was the clever part but the name? Not clever at all or original. I went closer and opened a door which made a bell ring.

Wow, bells? Annoying yet that is definitely one way to make sure someone came or left the place. I glanced around as the floor had wood planks in a horrible attempt of making floors. No windows but there were torch lights. I went over to the desk where another demon was situated at.

"Hey!" I gritted out, still irritated. "Take me where the slaves are so I can think about purchasing one or not."

The female demon glanced up in surprise by my tone. Her hair was bright red with olive color eyes. Her nose was a bit big, round and tipped downwards a little. Her mouth was thin and long. She had freckles and red splotches on her neck to her left cheek. Was it a rash? Or was it a disease? Or could it be scars? I don’t know and I don’t care.