Chapter Three

• Dedicated to Tamsin Seach

Chapter Three

I watched Michael smile angelically at my Laura, noticing that she had opted for a more girlish look today; to impress Michael she had told me when I found her applying pink lipstick in the toilets. I returned back to the present, staring at them giggling and whispering to each other, completely ignoring the fact that I was sitting just a few breaths away from them.

My eyes travelled away from Michael and Laura towards the background of the club. The walls were painted a deep shade of red, and the lights were dark casting an ominous glow against the crowds of people. I could sense the different auras of the humans, including Michael’s and Laura’s, my eyes narrowed in suspicion.

Michael and Laura seemed to be spending a lot of time together. Michael had just said it was his way of assisting to watch over for Laura, all he was doing was helping me out. But in my mind I knew that this wasn’t the exact truth. Michael’s feelings as an angel was far more intense than that of a human, it was so easy to tell that he liked Laura, a lot more than just a duty.

“Evelyn, would you mind getting us a drink?” Michael asked me.

I turned to look at him and Laura; they were both pretty close to each other. I sighed before standing up, moving towards the bar to get them both drinks. I wove around the crowds of dancing people, feeling all male eyes on me. I swore inwardly at my choice at clothing. My black denim shorts showed off my golden tanned legs and my whimsical flowery blue shirt boasted my well shoulders and stunning curves.

“Hi,” I smiled at the bartender.

The bartender glanced at me, secretly looking me over, before staring me in the face with a smile. I forced myself from running away from the perverse look he gave me and leaned forward, using as much as my angelic charm as possible.

“May I please have two margaritas?” I asked sweetly.

“Anything for you, love” He turned away bringing back two glasses filling them with the alcohol, “Aren’t you a little bit too young to be in a club?”

I tilted my head, giving him my best innocent look, which was really good since I was an angel after all, “No, not that I know of”.

He smiled handing me the drinks, “Well you tell me if anyone gives you trouble then you hear, we don’t want anyone causing trouble with a nice young lass without me there”.

I snatched the drinks away from the bartender, with anger flaring in my eyes. This was not a nice club I thought making my way towards Michael and Laura. My nose wrinkled in disgust when I found them sitting next to each other, so close that if they moved closer they’d be sitting in each other’s laps.

I cleared my throat, making them look up. I rolled my eyes at Michael and handed them both their drinks before walking away. I knew when I was not needed. I scanned the club, wondering where to go. There was the bar, not that I was intending to visit the bartender anytime soon, there was the lounges, but that was where Michael and Laura were sitting. I sighed realising the only free places were the toilets and the dance floor. I made up my mind then walking over to the dance floor, feeling the heat of the crowd wash over my body.

I was breathing hard, feeling my breath come out in pants from all the dancing I had done that night. Walking over to the corner of the dance floor where there was a small lounge area I collapsed on one of the sofas. My body was hardly damp but I could feel my skin burning with heat making the club air unbearable to stay in.

I mentally sent a message to Michael that I was leaving for home, not really bothering about Laura. If Michael was with her, she would most definitely be safe. I pushed my way out of the double doors and then up the spiral staircase emerging out of the hot stuffy club only to be greeted by the cool summer breeze.