Chapter One

Chapter One

Angels lined up quietly, waiting patiently for the task they were dreading to hear. I was one of them. I stood alone at the back of the line, my face blank of any emotion I possessed. My wings were folded neatly against my bare shoulders to form an almost-cape that came down to my ankles.

I blinked back the different auras in the room, focusing my attention to the one and only person I charge of us. He stood tall and muscular, wearing a cape and carrying a bowel of sweet fragranced cherry blossoms.

All eyes were on him as he took his rightful place at the high chair encrusted with the most extravagant jewels. Gold engravings were etched marvellously along the armrests, depicting the story of the fallen ones, and the rise of the Morning Star.

His voice boomed out, not loud enough to go along the room but he knew he was heard by each and every one of us. Angels around me turned their attention at him, watching him with awe and intense interest.

“My dear cherished ones,” he smiled looking around, “I have called you here for one reason and one reason only”.

Whispers spread around the room but they were soon quietened when he began to speak once again with the same powerful leadership he had over us.

“Unfortunately Morning Star has risen taking revenge on the beautiful humans and as you all know are angels on their journey of redemption,” he spoke with wisdom, echoing through his voice.

I watched as Archangel Michael, second in charge leaned forward whispering something to him before staring warningly at me. I cowered, ducking behind one of the angels in front of me. I did not want to be reprimanded again for not paying attention to my great leader.

 He nodded at Michael before his eyes sought me out from the different faces in the crowd, “I would like you all to take this seriously for we have to protect our fellow angels and as their guardians you are all encouraged to defend our humans with as much love as we can”.

There were voices of approval amongst the crowd as the many guardian angels agreed with his plans. I swallowed, feeling a hard lump of anger well up in my throat. All too soon I felt a familiar pang of warmth shooting through my chest filling me with warmth and undying love for my human.

I struggled trying to handle the sudden surge of emotions as Michael studied me carefully, thinking about my loyalty. I hid as much anger I could before replacing my nasty frown with a kind smile. Michael seemed to believe my obsequiousness since he looked back to the crowd.

“I have warned the demons of hellfire that they should fear your arrival so it shall make things much easier for you all, now be gone and remember the golden rule, allow no harm that is not written in destiny to fall to your humans,” he concluded before dismissing us.

I watched as the angels walked away from his royal room, towards the gateway of life. They were all following his direct order and their first natural instinct, to protect and love their given gift, their own human. I started to make my way towards the gate but felt a strong grip against my arm stop me.

Looking up I looked directly into Michael’s soft angelic face. His soft auburn hair and golden brown eyes burning into mine with strict love of a father. He frowned slightly watching me with intent, knowing exactly how I felt. I hated him for that. The way he looked at me only made me guilty about my negative thoughts of the leader who was sitting on his golden throne watching the whole scene between Michael and me with interest.

“Evelyn, you know better than to think such thoughts,” Michael scolded.

“Brother Michael, he is watching,” I responded glancing back nervously.