Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

I glanced around the dimly lit room. It wasn’t how I remembered Heaven to be, not broken and gloomy. Heaven was supposed to be cheerful and warm, filled with love and feelings of security and protection, but this…this felt like Hell turned over.

“Evelyn?”

I turned around to see the familiar face of the lord. However his warm eyes were bitter and cold, with just a few strands of hope clinging to his smile. I frowned. The lord truly was devastated, but I thought Michael said that he would tell the lord that I was safe?

“Father,” I whispered.

He smiled, “It is you. I thought that you would never return…”

I bit back tears, falling into his open arms, filling my body with his warmth, “I did but,” I pulled away, “only for a moment, there’s something you need to tell me”.

The lord looked out towards Heaven, angels were being nursed back to health, wounded and bloodied; it looked more of a horror scene than an angelic haven. For a moment I realised that Lucifer was probably the one in charge of killing and wounding these angels, but I pushed away the thoughts. Now was not the time to be getting angry at a demon.

“Of course, come and sit with me Eve,” the lord replied, guiding me towards his throne.

I followed him towards his sacred chair, sitting opposite him as another seat materialized in front of his own. For a second I let my fingers trace over the jewel encrusted armrests, feeling the smoothness of the shiny and precious gems, reminding me that once again I was here in Heaven which was falling.

“Now what is it that you want to know?” the lord asked.

I sighed, “Why didn’t you tell me that Michael is my real father?”

The lord’s mouth opened to form a perfect O, “Who told you that?”

I shrugged, “No one really, just I found out”.

He shook his head, “Tell me the truth Eve, no wait do better and tell me where you’ve been living for the past few weeks?”

I swallowed, “In Earth”.

He raised his eyebrows, “With whom?”

My voice was low, almost inaudible, “Lucifer”.

“WHAT?”

I flinched at the cold tone in his voice. It was hard to see Michael angry, especially since he was supposed to be an archangel, but there was an acceptance that he would slip up now and then, but it was harder seeing the lord, who was supposed to be the perfect picture of love and generosity, angry.

“It doesn’t matter, he didn’t do me any harm,” I replied.

The lord stood, angry at every word I spoke, “How dare you say that of the Devil’s spawn!”

I bit my bottom lip, realising how human I would sound trying to defend Lucifer, “It doesn’t matter! I came here for the truth father, and you are doing a fine job of avoiding my question”.

Instantly I regretted my words. I never once lashed out at the lord like this, never. And now; I shook away the thoughts as I spotted at the defeated look on the lord’s face, the sadness and the tired eyes that searched my face for an answer that he knew he wouldn’t receive.

“Perhaps it’s time for you to learn of your past Evelyn,” he said.

“Yes?” I asked sitting back opposite him.

He breathed in before he began to speak, “Long ago, before Satan was my enemy, before the humans were created, when there was just Heaven and everything seemed happy and warm”.

I nodded, letting him know that I was listening and for him to go on.

“I met your mother, she was beautiful, the same as you. Those same grey eyes and milky white hair, that skin, so porcelain perfect, her spitting image, of course I knew that you wasn’t mine, but you reminded me of her,” he continued.

I swallowed, feeling my throat constrict tighter.

“She was smart and kind, so caring and always laughing with me,” he smiled sadly, “I sound like a mortal, but no matter, sometimes they seem much better at judgement than I”.

I raised my eyebrows, “What do you mean?”

“Your mother was having an affair with the angel I had appointed to be second in position, I trusted her, I trusted Michael, but it didn’t stop them from falling in love, becoming intimate”.

I frowned, feeling my cheeks heat up, remembering Lucifer. Why did everything come back to a demon? The lord, too caught up in his story, didn’t notice anything different about me and if he did, he didn’t say anything.

“What happened?” I asked.

He sighed, “I realised that Satan, who kept telling me not to trust Michael, had become frustrated with me, following my rules when I didn’t heed his warnings”.

“And…?”

“Satan, my morning star became angrier with me when I had resorted to creating the humans for my affection,” he sighed, “he said that if I was not going to listen to him then he was leaving. I laughed, telling him that no one would go with him? I was a fool to scorn him, Eve, a right fool”.

For a moment it seemed that the lord and morning star were actually friends, genuine friends like Laura had once been to me.

“And my mother…what happened to her?” I asked.

“She told me that it was too complicated, and at that time I didn’t understand what she meant, so I let her leave with Satan as a fallen angel, only afterwards when she delivered you did I realise what she had truly meant”.

I sat there, unable to move, feeling my eyes wet with tears that were always there, but never fell. And then in a sudden moment I felt bile rising up my throat, before I hunched over, retching out. I felt the lord’s hand against my back, patting me. I shook my head; this was probably because of hearing of the news about my mother, not because of…

“Strap her down,” my father ordered.

I glanced at Laura, who was squirming and screaming, thrashing her legs about, trying to pry free of the metal chains. I glanced over at Alex, who had a malicious glint in her eye; ever since Evelyn arrived, Alex had become more vicious.

I felt for the strap under the cold cement bed, before pulling it over Laura, known better as Lucinda in Heaven, an avenger that was supposed to be the first to carry a child that possessed both qualities of an angel and a demon, but Laura wasn’t pregnant, in fact far from it, she was possessed by a demonic spirit.

Slowly my father began to whisper incantations that unbound the spirit from Laura’s soul, killing her slowly in the process. Her screams of agony could be heard throughout the room, demons shrieking in pleasure as their nostrils filled with Laura’s excruciating pain.

Slowly Laura’s eyes closed, her soul floating slightly above her body. She looked around, disorientated and oblivious of the demons and fallen angels staring at her. Her mouth twisted into a scowl of distaste after realising where she was.

“Who are you demons?” she asked.

Satan grinned, “Dear Lucinda, pleased to make your acquaintance, I am Satan and you’re our slave”.