Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

I felt horrible. My stomach was bloated and all I could think about was food, not just any food either, food as in sliced apples smeared with peanut butter. I sighed in contentment as I took another bite of the peanut butter coated apple slice, making my mouth water.

Lucifer gave me an amused smile, “Aren’t you going to eat anything else?”

I shook my head, “No”.

He sighed, “Oh well”.

I rolled my eyes at him, before continuing to eat the apples. Glancing around, I spotted the large book on the prophecy open. Jillian had been kind enough to come home every day to read out a new chapter to me, while Lucifer was gone, busy fighting in the war.

Until now, did I only learn about Laura, or now better as Lucinda the avenger. She was captured by Satan, and her contract of selling her soul to the demon was now on full play, meaning that she belonged to Hell, and could not return to Heaven, ever.

The Lord didn’t seem to mind, in fact he didn’t seem to be bothered by anything anymore, making me realise how far gone the war was. Michael had disappeared as soon as Laura did, and what was scary, was that I learnt that Hell might just win the war, but not of I could help it.

“What are you doing?”

I glanced up to see Alexandra with a scowl. She looked down at the apples coated with peanut butter in my hands before frowning, “Or better yet, what the hell are you eating?”

“Food, obviously,” I replied.

She raised her eyebrows, “You’re weird”.

“And you’re ugly, but I guess we can’t help that, now can we?” I retorted.

She stuck out her middle finger at me before walking towards Lucifer who just gave me an amused look. I ignored him while I stuffed my mouth with more of the apples. Suddenly my throat constricted, I could feel bile rising.

In a flash I was in the bathroom, throwing up heaps of apples and brown gunk that was sure to be the peanut butter. This was bad, I wasn’t feeling well and I craved apples and peanut butter, completely not me.

“Oh my God, are you throwing up?”

I wiped my mouth, glancing at Alexandra who had followed me, “Leave me alone”.

She widened her eyes, taking in my swollen abdomen, “Since when?”

I frowned, “What?”

She shut the door behind her, “Since when have you been craving apples and peanut butter, and throwing up?”

I shrugged, “Why does it matter to you?”

“Duh, because it’s only obvious Evelyn,” she replied.

I suddenly realised what she meant, “I’m not pregnant…angels don’t get pregnant with demon babies”.

She rolled her eyes, “Yeah they so can”.

I shook my head, “It’s never happened before”.

“Have you ever met an angel who slept with a demon? No, of course not, so how would you know?” she retorted.

I flushed the toilet, “Because it just doesn’t happen”.

She groaned, “You’re so stubborn, and it gets you nowhere but into trouble”.

I spun around and glared at her, “Go and bother someone else”.

She shrugged, “Hey I was just trying to help, but if you’re too stupid to see what’s right in front of you, don’t blame me”.

I watched as Alexandra walked out of the bathroom leaving me feeling confused and in doubt. I couldn’t be pregnant, that was impossible… Well not exactly impossible but angels and demons never, ever had created a baby before, it just didn’t happen.

Jillian sighed, reading out a page from the prophecy, “Every three centuries, there will be a war unleashed on Earth, between Heaven and Hell. Heaven and Hell will be equally matched, until one person eventually tips the balance”.

I frowned, “Balance?”

She nodded, “The balance between good and evil, God and Satan”.

I sighed, feeling sick, “Oh”.

She continued to read, “After centuries of dispute, there has been a chosen one, one that will begin a new turn for the new world, an angel among us, who will bear the spirit of both essences of Heaven and Hell”.

My eyes narrowed, “Like have a baby both demon and angel?”

Jillian shrugged, “Maybe, I wouldn’t know really”.

I licked my lips, remembering the conversation with Alexandra, “So what else does it say?”

“This spirit, will tip the scales, for the worse or for the better, none can tell,” Jillian read.

I closed my eyes, feeling the room spinning, “I feel awful”.

Jillian suddenly sat up, glancing at me with a serious expression, “Did Lucifer give you the box?”

I frowned, “What box?”

She sighed and walked out of the room before returning carrying a small silver box. She handed it over to be, which felt light in my hands, what was it? I frowned, sitting up and glancing at her with questioning eyes.

“Open it,” she ordered.

I frowned, and opened the box before I shut it, “It can’t be”.

She shrugged, “Only one way to tell Evelyn”.

I licked my lips nervously, “But…it hasn’t ever before…”

She nodded, “I know it’s scary, but someone’s got to end this war…it’ll only destroy the world otherwise”.

I breathed in, glancing at the box in my hands before I stood and made my way towards the bathroom, to find out whether I was truly pregnant or not.

Lucinda whimpered, causing my mind to flash back to Evelyn, who was safely hidden away from my father or God. Unlike before, in her mortal stage, Lucinda looked more innocent now, her dark hair was replaced by long golden locks and her pale face was golden, almost glowing.

She was bruised however, from the demons rough handling and their attempts of beating her. Even though I was a demon, the devil’s son, I couldn’t help the pang of guilt that crept up into my chest, making me to scowl in anger. Why should I feel sorry for an angel who had tried killing Evelyn?

Suddenly the wall to the side of me, burst, causing demons around to shriek and hiss before scampering off. There, in the chaos of dust and fleeing demons stood Archangel Michael, wearing a grim expression that was until his golden eyes sought out Lucinda.

“Laura?” he whispered.

I stood in front of the angel, “Leave Michael, this is Hell, and you’re not welcome here”.

Michael shot me an angry glare, “You stole my Evelyn and now you’re stealing away Laura?”

I grinned menacingly, “Took you long enough to figure it out”.

He smiled cruelly, “Not over my dead body, will you take any more loved ones from me”.

Suddenly I felt a gust of wind, blowing me backwards and causing my vision to blur. Blinking away dark spots, I watched paralysed as Michael pried open the metal bars that enclosed Lucinda, before he carried her in his arms and vanished.