Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

 “I can’t believe you went to him for the cleansing,” Michael said through gritted teeth.

I rolled my eyes, fed up of this conversation, “What’s done is done brother”.

He glared at me, “Why do you always disobey the rules Evelyn?”

I shrugged, “Why not brother?”

He sighed tiredly, “Very well. I can’t change your mind but let me remind you that what you’re about to do will result in not seeing the lord or Heaven ever again”.

I looked at Michael, locking my grey eyes with his own golden ones, “Happiness is only truly found after you have made a few painful sacrifices brother”.

“Spoken like a true prophet dear Evelyn,” Michael replied in thought.

I glanced up at Michael, watching as we flew higher into the clouds of Heaven, towards the Great Hall where the lord would be waiting along with the elders, waiting for me to rip out my wings.

“Are you scared?” Michael asked.

I looked up at him, “Would it be bad to lie under such circumstances?”

He smiled, a genuine smile after so long, “No, it would not Eve”.

“Then no brother, I am truly not terrified, I feel happy, confident and perhaps even proud,” I answered.

Michael tilted his head, “Dear Evelyn, you have grown into such a wise angel”.

I smiled, “I will not be an angel soon”.

Michael sighed, “Yes, but you will still carry the same characteristics with you into the mortal world”.

“Brother, who will take care of Laura after me?” I asked suddenly.

He looked at me sheepishly before looking away, something passed in his eyes but he masked his emotions far better than I ever could. It was in that moment that I knew that Michael, archangel and second in charge of Heaven was going to take after my role of caring for Laura.

I felt my fingers curl up so that my hands were now balled into little fists. Why was Michael; allowed a chance at love and yet I was not? All my life I had grown up in Heaven, always been taught to put the humans first and then take care of your own needs, never the other way around. It was tiring to have lived all my life and never once experienced the feeling of love, well not until I met the demon.

“Evelyn, hush your thoughts away, the elders would not appreciate you thinking such praises of the vile demon,” Michael spat out the last bit out.

I hid a frown that had started to form on my lips. Michael was right, I should not be thinking about the demon in such a flattering manner around the elders or else they might rethink me giving up my wings. Not every angel was granted the wish to give up their wings. Some were deemed unworthy of being approved the free willpower. I sighed; thoughts of the demon would definitely deem me unworthy to become a mortal.

Michael landed lightly against the clouds where the Great Hall lay in front of us. It was magical, blooming with cherry blossoms and sweet scented roses. Michael walked in first, he had to; he was here to introduce me into the hall of the elders.

I followed Michael shortly behind, letting my eyes scan the different faces that I had only met once, when I was granted my wings. The twelve elders sat along a long stone table, starting with the head of the elders, Nathaniel who had similar eyes to Michael, golden but his hair was peach, almost a pale fiery orange.