Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

“I don’t understand anything,” I whispered.

Lucifer shushed me as he bandaged my wounded abdomen where Laura had shot me. I stared at him for a moment, wondering where everything had gone so wrong. If only I stayed an angel, then Laura wouldn’t have become so…demented.

“That wasn’t your mortal,” Lucifer said after a few minutes of silence.

“Yes it was,” I replied.

He frowned, “Yes physically it was Laura, but mentally it wasn’t. She’s possessed by a demon, probably someone working for my father”.

I ignored him, “She said it’s my fault that Heaven’s falling…”

Lucifer sighed, “No it’s not”.

“What if the lord never recovers?” I asked frightened.

Lucifer swore now, “Stop this at once Evelyn!”

I glanced up at him, “What?”

“You’re not even paying attention, I told you that it wasn’t Laura, it was a demon trying to start the war,” he answered.

I breathed in deeply, “The war?”

He shook his head, “I can’t talk about this now to you. You’re drugged for the pain Evelyn, go get some rest and then we’ll talk”.

“I can’t sleep,” I replied with a yawn.

He smiled, “Don’t lie to me”.

“I’m not…” I answered as my eyes slowly closed, I opened them again, “where’s Alexandra?”

Lucifer looked away, “She’s gone to see some demons about the mortal”.

“Oh,” I replied leaning back against the soft bed.

“Sleep tight little Evelyn,” Lucifer said pressing his lips against my forehead.

For a few seconds I kept my eyes open, watching as Lucifer switched off the light before leaving the room. Once he was gone I let the fatigue take over me completely, and after ages I slept, a deep and peaceful sleep.

“What is this?”

I forced my eyes open and spotted an old woman standing at the doorway, her arms crossed and her hair neatly piled into a bun at the nape of her neck. I instantly recognised her as Lucifer’s grandmother, the old woman from the antique shop.

“Nothing Jillian,” Lucifer replied suddenly moving away from me.

My brows furrowed together in confusion. Why was Lucifer next to me? I rubbed my eyes and sat up in bed only to wince in pain. Jillian, Lucifer’s grandmother only seemed to get angrier, and not necessarily at me.

“Do explain to me dear grandson what you think you’re doing parading around with an angel who is on high demand by your father?” she asked sternly.

Lucifer shrugged, “My father doesn’t own her. I do”.

She nodded, “Ah so she is your slave?”

I looked at the old woman, letting my eyes scan her aura, but still I picked up no demonic presence that would suggest that she was from Hell. There was something wrong with me, something very wrong. I was supposed to know that she was a demon, but I didn’t.

“Yes she is Jillian,” Lucifer replied.

Jillian suddenly glanced at me, “Sweetheart, how about you go and get tidied up while I talk things out with my idiotic grandson?”

Lucifer wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me against him, “No she will not leave to be taken in by the scavengers”.

Jillian sighed, “Lucifer, the war is upon us and you’re busy protecting an angel? Does she even know of her past? Does she know about her role in all of this?”

I frowned, “What role?”

Lucifer ignored me, “Not now Jillian”.

Jillian shrugged, “Very well Lucifer, if you won’t tell her, Alexandra will eventually”.

“Tell me what?” I asked.

Lucifer looked at me, “It’s nothing Evelyn, please just leave it”.

I suddenly got the image of Michael, the day back in Heaven when he had admitted that the lord was not my true father “Is it about the lord?”

Jillian smiled at me, “Yes dear, this is about your real father”.

“Who is it?” I asked frantically.

“That will all be revealed in good time sweetheart,” Jillian replied, before walking out of the room.

For a few seconds I sat there, quiet and lost in my thoughts. Lucifer was tense against me, which brought me back to the present. I turned to look at Lucifer, his deep red eyes staring at me with concern.

“What’s happening?” I asked.

He sighed, “Evelyn, the war has started”.

I loaded my gun as I stood in the back of the alleyway. Evelyn stood next to me, stubbornly not leaving back to safety. I sighed, why did she have to be so adamant? Did she not realise the dangers that were waiting for us? Well she probably didn’t care; she still was blaming herself for Heaven coming to a standstill.

“Now whatever happens, you stay behind me okay?” I told her.

She shrugged, “I can fight too”.

“You’re an ex-angel, I don’t think it would be wise for you to fight,” I answered.

She rolled her eyes at me before looking out towards the darkened sky, “I don’t think it’s wise for you to be telling me what to do”.

I laughed, “Evelyn, you’re hurt, don’t make this anymore difficult”.

“How so?” she asked innocently.

“You know what I mean, don’t do anything stupid,” I replied.

“You mean don’t disobey the rules?” she asked with a sneaky smile.

“Yeah that Evelyn,” I responded.

She pulled out a gun from my large duffel bag that was on the ground. She cocked it before aiming it at a wall before hanging it down at her side. Her grey eyes glazed with amusement before she smiled at me. It was strange watching her so excited for a war, especially since she was an angel.

“You underestimate me demon,” she said in a soft voice.

“Do I?” I asked her.

She nodded, before pressing a light kiss to my lips. Pulling away she turned around on her heel and began walking, “See you later demon”.

I frowned in confusion, “Where are you going?”

She smiled, “To find out the truth”.