Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

I stared at the demon as he stretched out his jagged wings. They were sharp and angular, much more different than an angel’s. Intricate patterns of thin coiled veins and metallic looking shards were imprinted along them, making his wings shimmer in the light.

It had been almost a week that Lucifer had found me, but instead of taking me back to his father like he was ordered to, he took me back to his home. I didn’t know why and whenever I asked him, he always would become agitated and change the topic. Today was the same.

“Don’t stare Evelyn,” he stated.

I frowned, “I wasn’t staring”.

“Yes you were, you still are,” he replied.

I looked away, my eyes roaming towards the fireplace in the corner of the room. I sighed. Maybe being caught by Lucifer was worse than being caught by Michael and the lord, who were unfortunately still searching for me.

Lucifer was still a demon, he didn’t understand the basic concepts of love and kindness, granted he was doing me a huge favour by hiding me away from Satan and the lord, but he still didn’t know how to really talk to me.

I looked down at the gown I wore, it was big and warm, covering my body with its soft white material that matched the colour of my hair. There wasn’t much for me to wear besides the clothes that the fallen angel, Alexandra who was Lucifer’s friend had given me, which is why we were going shopping.

I yawned and rested my head in my palm staring down at the fireplace which was warming the room with a soft orange glow. Even though I knew that I was safe from the lord or Satan I wasn’t getting any sleep. There was still the fear there that was eating away at my stomach which told me that the war was still to come.

“You ready yet?” Lucifer asked me with a sigh.

I looked up at him, my eyes narrowing, “Do I look ready?”

He rolled his eyes but there was amusement in them, “Unless you’re planning to walk around naked, then no”.

I scowled, “I may be living with you demon but I still have my dignity”.

“Of course you do,” he answered sarcastically.

“I don’t have anything to wear,” I replied leaning on my back.

“What about Alex’s clothes?” he asked shifting his appearance back to his human disguise.

I scrunched up my nose, “I don’t like them”.

He grinned, “Yeah, me either; too many people stare at you then”.

I frowned, “What do you mean by that?”

He smiled, a genuine smile, “That was a compliment”.

“How so?” I asked.

He sighed, “Do you like torturing me so by making me explain everything to you?”

I smirked, “Perhaps”.

He groaned out loud, “Just get dressed would you?”

I took a sip of the coffee, tasting its sweet bitterness that made my throat warm up. Lucifer was sitting opposite me and Alexandra, the fallen angel next to me. Apparently Lucifer thought it would be better for me to go shopping with a female.

To be honest, Alexandra wasn’t exactly my favourite person; in all fairness I don’t think she liked me either. For starters, she frowned at me whenever I tried on something that got me attention from guys that walked past or even Lucifer for that matter.