Chapter Seven

• Dedicated to Tamsin Seach

Chapter Seven

I heard a loud knocking on the front door. With as much silence, I walked over to the door and opened it hoping to see Laura but instead there before me stood the demon. I felt my wings against my back open instinctively which made me curse under my breath.

"What do you want demon?" I hissed.

He grinned cockily, "Ah I have just come to visit you dear angel".

I glared, "Where is Laura?"

The demon leaned back on his heels, pulling out a pack of cigarettes before he lit one and began to smoke. My nose wrinkled in disgust and I watched him inhale the toxic fumes before he looked back up at me.

"Don't worry angel, your human is safe," he replied.

"How true is your word demon?" I asked still feeling unsettled.

"As true as the day the lord and the devil have become sworn oppositions," the demon answered with ease.

I sighed in relief, knowing that truly Laura was safe, for now at least, "Did you hurt her?"

The demon chuckled, "No, in fact far from it".

I narrowed my eyes, "What have you done to her demon?"

"Nothing against her will," he responded.

I suddenly realised what he meant, "You demon, have made love to my human?"

"Alas angel, you forget that the human belongs to me now...she will join us in Hell, whether you would like for it or not," he said smugly.

I felt my hands ball up into fists, "She does not care for you demon, she will never join you in Hell, even if you possess her soul, while she breathes the same air as the living, she shall not return to Hell with you".

The demon smiled, "She has chosen me angel. Might you have forgotten already that without her soul, she is useless?"

"She is not useless," I growled out.

The demon cocked his head, "You are truly unpredictable".

"What?" I asked dumbfounded.

"This afternoon you deserted your human with me and now you care for her?" he asked with a slight smile.

"I did not desert her, she chose to stay and I did not".

"Same difference," he replied inching closer to me.

I shuddered feeling my wings bend forward slightly, towards his aura. He smiled knowing what he was doing to me, if not physically but emotionally. I hated him. He was here, to boast about Laura's loyalty! I mentally slapped myself for leaving Laura behind with the demon, how could I have been so stupid?

I took a deep breath and got his sweet cinnamon scent that made my mouth water, I loved the taste of cinnamon. He came closer so that I was able to notice the light scar that ran across his cheek. Involuntarily I reached out and traced it with my finger. I could hear his breathing get harder, and instantly I pulled away my hand.

"Angel..." he breathed out against my face.

My eyes closed and I let myself get taken away by his presence. I wanted him so badly that it hurt; I craved to have his lips again on mine, to taste his sweet breath, feel his demon blood against my own. I needed him.

I looked up at him, scanning his eyes for any sign of deceitfulness, but there was none. I let him step closer to me, feeling his body brush up against mine before he slowly pressed his lips to my forehead, trailing them down to my neck.