Chapter 25

I just stared at him in shock. For about five minutes. The air between us was tense, and I’m pretty sure I looked like a deer in the headlights.

            People don’t talk about their first ‘I love you’ very often. But it’s supposed to be a big deal. I never imagined my first ‘I love you’ to happen while I was covered in mud. I guess life works in strange ways.

            Realizing I wasn’t going to speak anytime soon, Ashton spoke up. “Evelyn, say something. Please.” Nope. Nothing. “Evelyn?”

            “I-you-what-I-” I couldn’t form an actual sentence. “I’m going to sit down.” I sat on the chair I had been previously sitting on five minutes earlier.

            “Sorry if that was a bit of a shock,” Ashton rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. “But I had to tell you.”

            I didn’t join in the conversation, so Ashton kept talking. “And look, I get it if you don’t feel the same way…” he looked really sad.

            “It’s not that I don’t feel the same way,” I rushed. “I’m just really, really confused and if I try to think about my feelings I’m sure I’ll start hyperventilating and I’m pretty sure my heart is just about to explode or fall out of my chest right now and that would be really, really gross because who wants to see someone else’s beating heart on the ground. Oh and I’d be dead. Which would also kinda suck. And I don’t wanna die, I’m only sixteen. Well, I’m almost seventeen because my birthday is in a week and Lee said we should hang out, but I know she is throwing me a surprise birthday party because she accidentally sent me the text along with everyone else. Lee really needs to work on her party planning skills-” I stopped, gasping for air. “Oh. Sorry.”

            Ashton laughed at my horrible babbling. “I’ve missed you, Evie. But I can wait and give you space if you need it.”

            I watched him as he talked, my gaze lowering to his lips. His perfect, soft, pink lips. Okay, stop thinking about how much you want to kiss him.

            “You want to kiss me?” Ashton smirked, and I quickly met his gaze again, my cheeks turning a bright crimson.

            “I d-didn’t mean that,” I stammered, looking away.

            “Okay. Well, if you need time to think, I’m okay with that,” Ashton told me with a small smile.

            In that moment I realized I didn’t need to think about. I knew exactly how I felt about Ashton. Although I had been denying it for the last couple weeks, and who knows how long before that, I now realized what I wanted. No, I needed Ashton in my life.

            I wasn’t sure how to tell Ashton this, so I did the next best thing. I stood up from the chair so I was only a few inches shorter than him. Standing on my tiptoes, I lightly pressed my lips against his.

            He didn’t react for a few moments, his eyes wide. Then he realized what was happening, because I felt his lips move with mine. He tasted like honey and mint; his lips were as warm and soft as they looked. When I closed my eyes, I saw bright colors dancing behind my eyelids and I never wanted this kiss to end. It was perfect.

            One of his hands snaked around my waist, pulling me closer to him, while the other tangled in my hair. I don’t know how long we kissed, but we were so entranced that we didn’t notice the front door opening.

            “Gross, get a room,” someone exclaimed obnoxiously. That someone happened to be Ryan. Ashton and I both broke apart hastily, and I quickly tugged the hem of my shirt down from where it had rose up a few inches. If I wasn’t blushing before, I definitely was now.