Chapter 11

I APOLOGIZE FOR MISTAKES.

PICTURE OF ASHTON AND CHARLIE ON THE SIDE >>

“I beat you, California!” Charlie cried, throwing his hands in the air triumphantly. “I beat you, I beat you!” He chanted.

            I laughed, leaning back in the chair I was sitting in. Charlie and I just had an intense game of checkers, and damn, is he good. I was actually trying to win, but I had been beaten by a four year old. Wow.

            “Yep, you beat me Charlie.” I smiled at him. He was too adorable with his dimpled smile. “You do know my name isn’t actually California, right?” I wasn’t even wearing the California shirt right now.

            He got up from his chair. “Duh. You name is E. Of course I know that.” He then hurried off into another room. That was the thing about Charlie; one second you’d be talking and the next, he would just scamper off to another room.

            I ran a hand threw my hair, coming out a couple of the knots. I gave up, pulling it into a lose bun. It was currently seven o’clock on Thursday  night, and I was supposed to be helping Ashton with some assignment for class. But when I arrived, Ashton asked if I could babysit Charlie for a couple hours while he went to go bring gas to a friend who’s car had broke down about 45 minutes away. It seemed genuinely nice of Ashton to do that, so I agreed. Plus, I got to spend time with my favorite little kid.

            It was now three hours, fourteen checkers matches, and four SpongeBob episodes later, and I was feeling slightly worried. Ashton said he would be home at six o’clock latest, and it was already an hour after that.

            I jumped when my phone started ringing beside me, cutting through the silence of my thoughts. I laughed when I realized it was just my Mom calling.

            “Lo,” I answered, bringing the phone to my ear.

            “Hi sweetie, when do you think you’ll be home?” I hear my mom ask over the sound of other voices in the background.

            “Oh um… I dunno. I’m still waiting for Ashton to get home and I’m babysitting Charlie. Do you want me home soon? Because I can’t just leave Charlie here alone.”

            “Oh, well actually it’s the opposite. I’m at a party for work, so I actually won’t be home soon and your dad got called in for a surgery. So I don’t think anyone is home.” My mom replied.

            “Where’s Tony?” I asked curiously.

            My mom just sighed. “Your guess is as good as mine. I gotta go now, love you honey!” She hung up before I could reply.

            With another glance at the clock on the wall, I decided I should put Charlie to bed. “Charlie, it’s time for bed!” I called, not sure where he went. He soon emerged from the kitchen, a cookie in his hand.

            When I saw, he quickly put it behind his back. “Charlie, you already had ice cream,” I scolded. “That’s not healthy. Put it back.”

            Charlie looked at me with pleading eyes. “You can half?” he held it out to me. It was a big chocolate-chip cookie that Ana had made before she left this afternoon.

            “Fine,” I agreed. Hey, I have a weakness for sugary foods. “Brush your teeth super well though, or you’ll get cavities,” I told him.