Chapter 18

I went to visit Ashton at the hospital every day after school, and on the following Tuesday, he was discharged from the hospital. I was the one to drive him home; Ashton was letting me use his car because his license was suspended for drunk driving. Idiot.

            When I parked in his driveway, I went around to the passenger side to help him get out. He shooed my hand away, muttering something about how he wasn’t completely incapable.

            His broken wrist was bandaged tightly, but Ashton had refused to get a cast on it. He said he wouldn’t look as “manly” if he were to get a cast. Again, he’s an idiot. As well as his injured wrist, Ashton had a neat row of stitches on the right side of his forehead. They were blue.

            I rang the doorbell to his house and Charlie answered it eagerly. He knew that his brother was coming home today because I had called the house earlier and told Ana. It seemed that every time I went to Ashton’s house, it was always Charlie who opened the door.

            “Ashy!” Charlie exclaimed when he saw his brother slowly walking up the front steps.

            “Hey buddy-” Ashton was cut off as his brother ran into him, giving him a big hug.

            “Charlie be careful; Ashton’s fragile right now,” I called after Charlie and then stuck out my tongue at Ashton. He didn’t exactly like being called fragile. I was probably degrading his manliness.

            After their short reunion, we went inside and were immediately greeted by the aroma of fresh chocolate chip cookies.

            “I’m glad you’re home,” Ana pulled Ashton into a hug when she saw him. Ana was such a motherly figure to Ashton and Charlie. While they talked, I went to go find the cookies.

            On the kitchen table sat a plate of heaven itself. The cookies looked warm and gooey, like they had just gotten out of the oven. I grabbed one from the top and took a bite. It was amazing; I need Ana to cook for me sometime. My thoughts of love for chocolaty goodness were soon interrupted by Ashton’s arrival in the kitchen.

            “If I am correct, those were my homecoming cookies,” Ashton grinned, taking a cookie as well.

            I stuck out my tongue at him again. “Well, who drove you home? I deserve a cookie for that.”

            “Fine,” Ashton agreed, taking a second cookie. “So about our date…”

            “You don’t want to go on our date anymore?” I asked hurriedly, but then quickly tried to cover up my anxiety. “I mean, oh, okay.”

            Ashton laughed at my expression. “I was just going to ask you when you were free?”

            “Oh,” I looked at him awkwardly before replying. “Well, I’m never free, I’m expensive!”

            Ashton apparently didn’t think it was very funny. “That was the stupidest joke I’ve ever heard.”

            “Hey!” I hit him on the shoulder, pretending to be offended. “My jokes are very funny. Even if they’re not, you’re still supposed to be polite and laugh. Jerk.”

            “Okay, it was funny. Ha-ha.” Ashton said sarcastically, so I hit him in the shoulder again.

            “Stop hitting the cripple!” Ashton exclaimed, stepping away from me. I knew I wasn’t hurting him though, he was just being annoying.