Chapter 21

When I woke up late on Sunday morning, Ashton was gone. I even wondered if I had just dreamt the whole thing, but the window that was still slightly ajar confirmed that it was real.

            The day progressed slowly; I really had nothing to do. Lee was out with Ryan, Madison had soccer practice, and I didn’t feel like calling anyone else to hang out. Lee and Ryan are officially a couple, as of yesterday. Lee called me to tell me he had asked her out. They were definitely cute together and I approved of the relationship.

            Both of my parents were still out of town, and my dad wouldn’t arrive home until Tuesday. Thankfully, Tony wasn’t planning on throwing anymore parties. I just hoped my Mom wouldn’t notice when she returns.

            When nighttime came, I went to bed dreading the next day at school. Monday. The worst day of the week. I don’t know anyone who actually likes Mondays. I mean, you have to wake up at an early-as-hell time and go to a building worse than prison.

            Sure enough, the next morning Tony literally had to drag me out of bed to get me to go to school. I was late, surprise. Which meant Ashton would be late too. This was the first day he was going back to school after the accident, and I had to give him a ride. I scurried into the bathroom to take a shower in record time. I didn’t have time to dry my hair, so I just tried to get as much water out and then threw it in a bun. Oh well.

            After texting Ashton that I was on my way and grabbing a piece of toast, I was out the door. Of course, I had to wait through every single red light on the way to Ashton’s house. It’s like the Traffic Gods never wanted me to get to school.

            “Someone’s late,” Ashton commented as he slid into the passenger seat.

            “Well,” I replied. “So are you.”

            Ashton thought for a moment before smirking. “I think I need a new chauffer, you’re fired.”

            “What? I’m not you chauffer, Ashton. So you can’t fire me,” I protested, focusing on the road in front of me.

            “Whatever you say, Evie,” he grinned. The sound of his voice saying my name made butterflies appear in my stomach. If only he knew the effect he had on me.

            “So when do you get your stitches out?” I asked, gesturing to his head. It had been about a week and he still had the bright blue stitches in his forehead.

            “Tomorrow. My aunt is driving me to get them out,” he murmured, gazing out the window. He seemed deep in thought, so I didn’t continue the conversation.

            We were late so we had to go through the front office at school. The receptionist typed away at her computer, marking us on the attendance.

            “Miss Rose,” she looked up from her computer. “This is your fifth tardy this month so you will have to attend a Saturday detention.”

            Great. Saturday detention wasn’t bad, but it was a pain in the ass to wake up early and go to.

            “But-” I started, but she cut me off with a stern look.

            “Lateness is not tolerated here at Oak Valley High,” she said curtly, beginning to type again.

            “I’m sorry miss, but it’s my fault. You see, Evelyn has been so kindly giving me rides to school because my dad, Michael Grant, is not home to drive me,” Ashton spoke up, sending me a knowing look.

            When Ashton told the recpetionist the name of his father, she immediately paled. “Oh, w-well then I’m sure it’s f-fine that she has had a couple late days. Saturday detention won’t be necessary after all,” she stammered, adjusting her wide-rimmed glasses.

            I followed Ashton out of the office, chuckling when we finally left. “Wow, did you see how flustered she got?”

            “Well, being the son of a billionaire has it’s perks,” Ashton smirked. “My father donates a lot to the school. That’s why I never really get in trouble for ditching.”

            “So basically you can get away with shit because you’re rich?” I asked, frowning. “That doesn’t seem fair.”

            “Hmm, what can I say?” Ashton grinned. “Or maybe it’s because I’m just so damn handsome.”

            I smacked him on the arm, laughing. “In your dreams, Ash.”

            He feigned a look of hurt, but I kept walking. “Come on, we don’t want to be even later to calculus.”

            “I do,” Ashton smiled, but followed me anyways.

            At about midday, Brooke approached me. It was actually quite unexpected, because she hadn’t bothered me for a couple weeks.

            “Hey Loser Lyn,” she greeted me, a sneer upon her face.

            “Hi Brooke,” I replied sweetly, grabbing some books from my locker and closing it tightly.

            “Do you even have any friends, loser?” She snorted, looking at me with disdain. The two mini-Brookes appeared behind her, laughing at her insult.

            “First of all, I have plenty of friends,” I smiled at her. “And secondly, I’m not the loser who finds joy in putting down other people just to make herself feel better.”

            “Shut up, loser. Don’t you know that no one talks to me like that?” She asked, clicking her high-heels on the floor as she took a step forward.

            “Last time I checked, I’m the one with a perfect boyfriend and you’re the one that uhh… no one likes.” I grinned and stepped around her, walking off in the opposite direction.

            I didn’t get far before someone grabbed my hand. “Perfect boyfriend, hmm?” Ashton asked, entwining his fingers with mine.

            “Oh stop,” I told him playfully, tugging my hand away. “I only said that to get on her nerves.”

            “Okay, Loser Lyn,” he smirked, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear. I felt my heartbeat increase pace as he did so. I swear, he’s going to give me a heart attack one of these days. All of these little things he does, makes me so nervous and excited at the same time and I can’t stand it.

            “Don’t call me that,” I hit him on the arm, continuing my way down the hallway. I didn’t want to be late for a second class today.

            “Why are you so abusive, woman?” He complained. “After all, I am a perfect boyfriend.”

            “Pretend boyfriend,” I corrected him. But oh how I wish it wasn’t pretend.

            Ashton wanted me to help him with his schoolwork after school, but I was already going to the mall with Lee. He was going to get a ride home from one of his football friends.

            “Maybe afterwards,” I had told him.

a/n half the chapter is gone here whoops but well she catches him cheating idk where the chapter went whoops i'm not adding it back in rn because i've lost interest in this story sorry. you can keep reading though. 

edit 12/31/14: go check out my new story, "Remember the Music"