Chapter 10

Picture of Evelyn and Ashton on the side >>>

The track meet sucked. Liked usual. I really wished I had actually tried this year in gym, because I wouldn’t have needed to join the track team for extra-credit. Anyways, we had done the 800meter today, and it was probably my least favorite track event. I tripped twice, landing face down in the dirt. It didn’t help that Ashton stood smirking on the side of the field the entire time. Asshole.

            When the meet finally ended, I went to the locker rooms to shower. I quickly shampooed my hair, rinsed, and got dressed again. I found Ashton leaning against the wall outside the locker rooms, shamelessly flirting with a cheerleader named Maya. Maya was actually a really nice girl, I had spoken to her a few times before. She was one of those people that everyone liked.

            “Hi Evelyn,” she smiled, her pretty blue eyes lighting up when she saw me. “How was track?”

            “Horrible,” I grumbled. She looked a bit taken aback at my attitude, but brushed it off with another smile.

            “Okay. Well, see you two around!” she gave a small wave before leaving Ashton and I alone in the hallway.

            I turned to Ashton once she had left. “Do you have to flirt with every single girl you see?” I asked, tucking strands of my honey-blonde hair behind my ear.

            He chuckled. “Nope, I’ve already banged her anyways.”

            I grimaced, scrunching up my nose. “Eww. I did not need to know that.”

            “Eh, It’ll be your turn soon enough,” he flashed me a smile. I coughed, nearly choking at that.

            “You-what-no-I-” I spluttered, my face flushing bright red. I didn’t know how to respond, so I just hit him in the arm. Hard.

            “Ow,” he muttered, rubbing his arm. He then grinned. “Nice bra.”

            I frowned, looking down at my shirt. If it was possible, my face turned even redder, matching the crimson color of my bra that was showing through my white shirt. I guess my damp hair had soaked through. Great.

                                                                     *****

            When we arrived at Ashton’s house a while later, Charlie was waiting at the door for us. “Ashy!” He cried, waving his small hands excitedly. He then turned to me, frowning. It seemed like he was trying to remember my name. “Hi California,” he finally greeted me.

            “California?” I asked, confused. Last time I checked, my name was Evelyn, not California.

            “Yes. Your shirt says California. So you’re name is California.” He reasoned, walking into the kitchen where Ana was packing up a bag of her things.

            Ana, the housekeeper I met about a week ago, smiled when Ashton and I entered. “I’m leaving now honey, unless you need me to stay longer?”

            Ashton nodded. “It’s fine, I’m not going out tonight so I can watch Charlie. Thanks Ana.” She gave him one last smile before exiting the room.

            “Hey California?” Charlie asked, tugging on my hand. Ashton shot me an amused look at Charlie’s new nickname for me.

            “Yeah Charlie?” I asked, bending down to his eye level. Charlie was just too adorable. He looked a lot like Ashton, except his face was rounder and his hair was lighter.

            “I went to California once!” he announced excitedly. “My Mommy took me to Disneyland before she went away to the North Pole!”

            “North Pole?” I asked, bewildered. Why would their mother be at the North Pole?

            “Yeah. Ashy said she had to go to the North Pole to help Santa. But she’ll be home soon, right?” He turned to look hopefully up at Ashton.

            Ashton nodded, giving his little brother a small, sad smile. “I don’t know when she’ll be home, Charlie.”

            “Oh,” Charlie looked at the ground in disappointment. “I’m going to go color now!” He scampered off up the stairs.

            I looked at Ashton. “Where is your mom?” I asked slowly, unsure of what his reaction would be.

            “She’s dead,” he replied tersely, not looking at me.

            I sucked in a breath. “Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know. I shouldn’t have asked-” I felt really bad for bringing it up now. That explained why I never had seen Ashton’s mom at home. I still didn’t know where his dad was, but I didn’t ask.  

            “It’s fine. How could you have known.” He walked into the hallway, and I followed.

            “You told Charlie she went to the North Pole?” I asked. “What are you going to do when he finds out that she isn’t coming home?”

            Ashton finally turned to make eye contact with me. His eyes were clouded, his emotions hidden. “How could I tell my little brother that our mom died in a car accident and was never coming home? How could I tell him that? He was three when it happened. He would have been shattered!”

            “But he’ll keep hoping she’ll come home,” I protested. “What will you do when he eventually realizes she isn’t?”

            He ran his hands through his already messy hair. “I don’t know, Evelyn. I don’t know what I’ll do. Hopefully I’ll think of something before then.” He looked at a picture that was hung on the wall.

            I hadn’t noticed the picture the previous times I had been in his house. It was a photo of Charlie, Ashton, a beautiful young woman, and a man who was laughing. I assumed they were Ashton’s parents, because he had the woman’s eyes and dark hair, and the man’s same smile.

            “She was really beautiful,” I told Ashton, who was still looking at the photo wistfully.

            “She was,” he agreed. A faint smile traced his lips, but I could tell he was still sad. I noticed then that Ashton had sad eyes. The kind of eyes you would see on a wounded animal. I realized that Ashton was wounded, but he always kept that part of him hidden.

            I wanted to comfort him in that moment, but I didn’t know how to. This boy, Ashton, who I had only met a week ago, I felt the compelling urge to help him, to make him feel okay again. I don’t know why I felt this way, maybe it was because I hated seeing others hurt.

            “Hey Ashton?” I asked after a few moments of silence. “I think I know what will cheer you up,” I added with a slight smile.

            He looked at me expectantly.

            “Studying for Calculus,” I grinned.

He rolled his eyes, but gave me a real smile. “Thanks Evelyn.”

A/N. LOL. I THINK I WILL HAVE CHARLIE CALL EVELYN "CALIFORNIA" FROM NOW ON. IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED TO ME TODAY. MY FRIEND'S LITTLE SISTER DIDN'T KNOW MY NAME SO SHE STARTED CALLING ME CALIFORNIA BECAUSE OF MY SHIRT. LITTLE KIDS ARE ADORABLE.

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK OF ASHTON'S KIND-OF SECRET? 

EEP LEAVE ME A COMMENT!! OR FAN//VOTE. LOVE YAAA CHCOS. <3

-BROOKLIN.

edit 12/31/14: go check out my new story, "Remember the Music"