Sweet Tragedy

Introduction

 Alabama 1863

Rebecca Armstrong was a daughter of the one of the wealthiest men in Alabama; Normand Armstrong. He made his money mostly from inheritance and slightly by building railways across the United States. This gave Rebecca everything her heart desired. She had the most beautiful gowns. All made of the best fabrics available; cotton, wool, silk, velvet, Satin. Being the only child, she was spoiled. Daddy gave her everything. There was nothing she could not have.

Together they lived in a fairly large home. Even though it was only the two of them, they had a house of 6 bedrooms  A great hall, dining room, huge kitchen (that Rebecca had never in) and they even had an inside water closet with running hot and cold water. This meant that Rebecca never had to go outside for use the facilities. That was definitely a privilege.

The Armstrong’s had 3 servants working for them; a cook and two maids. Rebecca has never lifted a finger her entire life. Why would she have to? She had people to do it for her. Rebecca had the same servants since she could remember. She knew their names and the things she could get away with. But she didn’t know the servants at all. She felt they were beneath her and not worth her time. Keep in mind, Rebecca did not know any better.

Her mother died during childbirth. She had no other relatives or any adults that could mentor her. Her father was the only thing she knew. That is why he spoiled her so. But there are things that Rebecca did not know. There were life lessons she will learn. And no one will be there to guide her.

Normand Armstrong had a huge problem.  One that would affect Rebecca for the rest of her life. He had a gambling problem. He owed money to people you did not want to owe anything to. He owed more money than he actually owned. If he didn’t do something soon, he would lose his house and all of his life possessions. Rebecca’s life was about to change and she was not prepared for it…