Chapter Fifteen

(You'll all probably be confused by the end of this chapter, and I can't wait to hear your thoughts.)

"How was it?" I whisper, peeking over a clothing rack. Kristen grins widely, "Oh my moon goddess." I giggle, "So that answers my question." "Lucy, why haven't you and Jason..?" I reach over the Forever 21 clothes rack and snack her shoulder, "Kristen!" She smirks at me, "I know you want to." I blush, "No, I don't." My best friend only rolls her eyes, "Whatever, Lucinda."

I groan, but follow her to the counter. She lies all her clothes down and pulls out her purse. The cashier gives us a fake smile, quickly ringing up all of the items Kristen decided she needed. "That'll be $80.73," she says. Kristen pulls out her card, and her clothes are given back to her in bags.

"Thanks!" Kristen calls to her before dragging me out of the store. I hadn't bought a single thing, even though Kristen had grabbed my wallet before grabbing me. Kristen had an armful of shopping bags, yet somehow I was the exhausted one.

"Kristen, I love you, but this is tiring," I whine. "How about a pick-me-up?" She suggests, pointing at the coffee shop ahead. "Perfect, but we're sitting while we have coffee." She nods in agreement, "I'll pay because this whole trip was my idea. What do you want?" "Whatever you're having," I reply, sitting down in a small booth.

Within a few minutes, Kristen returns with two iced vanilla coffees. "You know me so well," I say, grinning at my best friend. She sits, dropping her ridiculous amount of shopping bags beside her.

"I'm surprised they haven't found us yet," Kristen comments, "I mean, it's been almost three hours." I giggle, "Plus, you stole Sebastian's car, so you'd think he'd have the whole pack after you." She winks, "I also stole the Luna. I'm gonna be in trouble." I laugh, "I'm sure you'd say you stole me."

We sit in silence for a little while, watching the humans interact in the mall. It was strange to think of being one. It was strange that not long ago Kristen and I blended in with them and we lived in the city.

"Do you miss it?" I whisper, looking at Kristen. She sighs, "Yes, I miss every little thing." I nod, "You'd think we'd be able to live a normal life for at least a year before finding out mates and going back to pack life."

She frowns, "I miss Jack and Jim. I miss the apartment, and the clubs we managed to flirt our way into. Oh, and the shopping! This is the first time I d been in months. What's the point of wearing heels in the pack house?" I smile a little bit at the last part, "I miss the freedom. We just got away from our parents and all the rules. We're eighteen, and we only get a solid six months to ourselves. I feel like Jason's another parent in a way. He's the boss, and he's the alpha, and he's my mate, and it's scary sometimes." My best friend grabs my hand, "Oh honey, you're not scared of him. You're scared of commitment."

I feel my eyes start to water up, "Can we get out of here?" She smiles sadly and nods her head, "Let's go." She grabs her bags, and still manages to hold my hand reassuringly on the way to the car. I hop in the passenger seat and Kristen starts to back out of the parking lot.

"Let's have a talk," she suggests, and I groan aloud. "I am not in the mood for one of your inspirational speeches." She laughs, "You never are." "Get on with it," I mutter, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Lucinda, why are you so independent?" She questions, keeping her eyes on the road. I shrug, "You can't count on anyone." Kristen grimaces, "I think we should talk about Tommy." I sit up immediately, turning to her quickly, "What did you just say?" "Tommy would want you-" She starts but I slam my hand on the dashboard. "Don't ever talk to me about him! No one ever has the right to talk about my brother!" I shout so loud that my ears hurt.

Kristen stops the car and puts her hand on my shoulder, "I know you don't talk about it, but-" I don't hear the rest, because I get out of the car and slam the door behind me. Kristen rolls the window down, "Lucy, you can't walk!" "Watch me," I practically growl. She sighs, driving away, knowing she'll never get me back in the car now.

I sit down on the sidewalk of the empty road and put my head in my hands. "Don't cry," I whisper to myself, "Don't cry." The tears start flowing before I can stop them.

I sit there for what feels like hours, and not a single car drives by. The tears don't stop for a second. The sound of a car engine surprises me, but I don't look up. I hear it stop, and someone runs over to me.

Just the scent let's me know it's Jason. I try to push him away, but he's persistent, and I don't have the energy to fight him. He picks me up and takes me to his car, kissing my forehead softly when he sets me down. He shuts the door and starts up the car, keeping an arm around my limp body. I finally give in, lying down in his lap and falling asleep.