Chapter Three

Blinking, I let my eyes adjust to the bright lights of the familiar room. My pack's doctor's room was a second home in my teenage years. Considering that I can be unpleasant, I constantly got into fights and I broke my nose a few times.

Someone squeezes my hand, and I come to my senses. I rip my hand away and sit up. A startled Kristen stares at me. I gasp, "I'm sorry. I thought you were Jason." She grimaces, "He's checking on his pack, but he'll be back any minute now." My eyes widen, "He's here? You met him?"

The door opens and our pack doctor walks in, "Kristen, you'll have to leave now." Kristen reluctantly exits. Barbra had been our pack doctor for over thirty years.

"Lucinda, dear, do you remember what happened?" "I can't say that I do," I reply, staring at her blankly. "You passed out after Alpha Jason caught you, and I believe your body needed rest because you've been out for four days," she tells me, not seeming surprised. In middle school, some guy smacked my head into concrete, and I was out for almost two weeks. Four days was nothing.

Barbra starts checking me for a fever, and the door bursts open revealing my mate. Barbra waves her finger at the approaching figure, "No one's allowed in here while I'm giving a check up." My mate growls, "I am an alpha and that is my mate." Barbra laughs, "I am a pack doctor, and this is my patient. Now, would you kindly step out of my office?" He steps forward angrily, "Don't tell me what to do." She shines a light in my ear, "I was merely suggesting that if you'd like me to release Lucinda, you must get out of my office." He growls again and storms out, slamming the door behind him.

I breathe a sigh of relief, "Thank you." Barbra smiles kindly, "I used to be like you, honey. I didn't want a mate either." "I thought I was the only one," I whisper. She shakes her head, "I didn't want anyone to love me like that. I didn't want to be trapped in a relationship. I didn't want someone who thought they owned me. I didn't want to be controlled." "Wow, I thought you and George were always in love," I say. She laughs, "No one starts out in love, sweetheart. One thing that mates always start out with; lust." I sigh.

"Sign this and you're free to go," Barbra hands me a clipboard. I reluctantly sign it and walk out the door. My mate is waiting for me, and harshly grabs my arm. I shriek, and he pulls me into his embrace. I gasp in shock.

"Mine," he whispers, burying his face in my hair. I decide to let him hold me, because be seemed very upset. No one wanted an upset alpha. I pat his back awkwardly, and try not to think about how amazing it felt to be wrapped in his arms.

"Excuse me," Barbra's husband, George, stands in front of us. Jason lets me out of his embrace, but keeps an arm around my shoulder. George addresses my mate, "Alpha Jason, her family and friends are in the waiting room." George seems annoyed. Jason nods and George walks away.

Jason takes me to the waiting room, not saying a word, but keeping that possessive arm around me. When we reach the waiting room, I'm surrounded by everyone.

My roommates look sorry for me, and Kristen sends a glare to my mate. My parents look overcome with joy, not realizing my reluctance towards my mate. My sister and Mason look relieved; they always worried about my health. A few of my pack friends look threatened of Jason.

Jason drops his arm and I run to my roommates. All three of them put their arms around me protectively. Jason growls, and I realize he is glaring at Jack and Jim. "Oh for Pete's sake; they're gay!" I spit out. Jack and Jim chuckle. My mate's nostrils flare, but my parents distract him.

"Hi I'm Jason: Alpha of the Dark Moon Pack," He says, sticking out his hand. He flashed his set of perfect teeth at them, and they've already seemed to have fallen under his spell. My parents introduce themselves, and they chat for a few minutes.

"He's going to take you back to his pack," Kristen whispers, glancing at my mate. I start crying silently. Accidentally, I let out a sob. Jason is by my side in an instant.

"Baby, are you okay?" He leans down to examine me. I practically growl, "Do not call me that ever again!" I storm off, not even bothering to say goodbye to my friends. My mate stares in my direction and I turn to face him from across the room. I slowly stick out my middle finger, "Go to hell."

I don't see his reaction, because suddenly I'm laughing uncontrollably and running down the stairs to the bottom of the building. I hope his reaction was hilarious. I hope he returns to his pack and leaves me here.

I open the door to outside, and continue running until I reach my parents house. I pause, leaning down to find the hidden key under the door mat. I grab it, quickly unlocking the door and throwing myself inside, locking it again behind me.

I hear a furious growl on the other side of the door, and I muffle my laugh with my hand. God, I bet his face was great after my dramatic exit. "Lucinda!" He screams, raging. I let out a chuckle, and run up the stairs to my old room.

Everything in my room is how it's always been. My walls are still light purple, and my bed is still crammed into the corner. I make sure my window is locked, and hop into my bed hoping for an escape from reality. Soon enough, my wish is granted.