11

Odell

I haven't been here since I brung Patricia. It was so nice out here, the people were nice. Nothing but a bunch of rich white folks who can afford a weekend out here.

Khia just looked out the window while the driver drove us to where we needed to go.

"This is it."

He stopped the car and we got out getting all of our bags. I tried to help her but she simply held up her hand so I backed off.

Why was she acting like a bitch now. She wasn't complaining the other night when I was deep in her stomach.

I unlocked the door kicking it with my foot she looked around in awe then pulled her bags down the hall into the bedroom. I hope she wasn't too mad cause it was only one bed but i'd sleep on the chair if it made her happy.

"It's only one room."

"It's nice."

"Thanks."

"I guess i'll unpack."

"Okay I'll run down to the market and get some things we might need."

"Alright."

-

Khia

I pulled out my phone to see over 400 text messages. This the first time I looked at it since this morning. It was messages from everybody I knew including Keenon I wanted to call him so bad but I didn't know how to explain this to him.

It was hot as hell here. Im glad I packed the right clothes. I stripped out of my clothes to change then Odell walked in. I quickly covered up.

"I forgot my wall- my wallet." he laughed.

"You don't have to hide. I seen you before."

I smiled and kept getting dressed.

"Yeah everything just feels different know."

"It'll change I promise."

And he winked and left. I shook my head putting up the rest of my clothes when my phone rung.

"Hello?"

"BITCH. Where are you. Keenon is ballistic."

"I can't say right now Layla."

"Did he kidnap you."

"Do you think I would've answered the phone if he kidnapped me, look have you seen my baby?"

"No. Im in LA, but Keenon did call me and asked if I talked to you and he said he was sending her to Ms.Gladys cause he had things to do."

"Oh my gosh." I rubbed my forehead.

"I don't want Penelope to go through this."

"Ima be honest Khia. You my bitch but you stupid as hell, I told you to stop when you had the chance."

"I know Layla im stupid as hell just make me feel worse then I already do."

"Im not trying to. Just being real with you."

"Can you do me a favor... please."

"What's up?"

"Can you explain to Ms.Gladys what's going on and tell her im really sorry and send my baby kisses and tell Ms.Gladys I need all thw prayer I can get right now."

"I will suh. I love you and be safe, make smart decisions."

"Thank you. I love you too girl bye."

"Bye."

-

I ended up taking a nap and didn't realize I slept a long time. Odell was in thw bed with me. I looked around forgeting where I was hoping that all of this would be just a dream.

"How long was I sleep."

"I don't know. You was sleep when I got back from the store."

"Oh." I sat up in the bed leaning back on the head board.

"When I was little I always wanted to be a firefighter."

I looked at Odell who seemed to be day dreaming.

"Why?"

"Cause I hate fires."

"What's wrong with fire."

"That's what killed my grandmother. I was outside playing with the kids on the block she was taking a nap my mom was God knows where she never really was around. I remember her cooking my favorite meal. Gumbo, that day the house started to smoke up and- and when I ran inside the kitchen was already burned.. I went to get my grandma and it took me the longest to get her up she was pretty old so she couldn't move fast enough, and fires.. fires they move quick. Once they touch something thats it."

I listened to his story and listened to his voice crack I could tell this really hurt him.

"and that's when the house came down. I just fell in the grass and I blame myself cause I left her on the porch I thought she was behind me but it- it came down."

"No no nooo.. hey, its not your fault." I slid closer to him wrapping my arms around him.

To hear this broke my heart you never know somebody's story until you hear them out man. But that doesn't tell me enough. I need to be able to look deep deep down inside of him to see who he really is.