Chapter Sixteen: Sato-sama.

Hinata mounts his bike and sets off as fast as he can, pedalling like his life depends on it. Kageyama isn't after him. No one is. He doesn't care, though, he just needs to get away right now. His head hurts, everything hurts really. It wasn't long ago but he can't remember what it's like to not have some part of him hurting.

If it isn't his head then it's his chest. Everytime he thinks about what his own idiocy is doing to his friends and his life...

The pain is unbearable. It's like claws are squeezing his heart to the point where he's not quite dead yet so all he can feel is the unbearable pain as he's dangled by death's door. It sounds extreme but describe it as anything less feel like he's underrating how it feels.

A mental image of Kageyama's face when Hinata yelled at him comes to mind. Hinata shakes his head and pedals faster, squeezing his eyes shut briefly. He doesn't close them for log, focusing on looking forward. He doesn't even know where he's going.

Home. Where else would he go? He has to go home and sort himself out. He needs to figure this out.

It isn't until he crashes into the front gate and flies off his bike that Hinata realises where he is.

He's not at home.

From the floor, he swallows thickly and looks up at the house. It's old and looks run down from the outside, the wooden porch cracked and the paint chipped. The plants have seen far better days. No lights are on and if he were just a passerby, Hinata would think that the place is abandoned. It looks unloved. Hinata thinks it looks like heaven. This is his heaven.

It's been awhile since he's been here. He's not sure when he decides that now is the time to come here but he doesn't regret the decision at all. Hinata breathes in deeply before he pushes himself up off the floor and goes to retrieve his bike. He wheels it around the back of the house and locks it up before he goes back to the front door and unlocks it with his key.

He sends his mum a text before removing his shoes and quietly moving further into house. He curls up on the sofa, holding his legs to his chest and closing his eyes. Hinata ignores his tears as they begin to fall.

"Hinata-kun?" A voice calls from upstairs. "Are you okay? Did you hit your head when you fell off your bike?"

Hinata freezes, not having expected to wake her. Was him falling off the bike really that loud or was she already awake and heard?

"I-I'm fine. Please go back to sleep."

"If you're here, you wish to talk, not to sleep." Footsteps are already making their way down the stairs and Hinata doesn't argue.

"Sorry for waking you, Sato-sama."

"Don't apologise, Hinata-kun. I'll make us tea."

Hinata looks up at the woman as she enters the room, sitting up straight and bowing his head slightly. She doesn't look any different from how Hinata remembers. Her long blonde locks are in their usual bun but a few strands are out of place from where she's just gotten out of bed. Her high cheekbones and full lips stand out more than anything else. She's beautiful and terrifying.

Her expression is neutral, as it is most often, but before she goes to the kitchen she gives him a small smile and says "It's nice to see you again, Hinata-kun."

Just like that, Hinata feels like he's five years old again and that nothing can hurt him while Sato-sama is with him. He feels safe.

When the woman returns, they don't speak. She sits beside Hinata. They drink the tea before Hinata rests against her chest. She strokes his hair until he falls asleep, not asking a single question, just letting him feel safe despite her earlier words about wishing to talk.