Chapter Ten: Exploring.

Cave exploration, Kageyama decides, isn't too bad. In fact, it's quite fun to search new places that perhaps only a few handfuls of people have ever seen.

The only thing he didn't enjoy much was the way his stomach would go funny and he'd get the urge to smile whenever Hinata smiles or laughs at something. It only seemed to have started today, the urge to smile around him, but Kageyama would be lying to himself if he tried to claim there hadn't been times when he'd thought something the shorter boy did was cute or times where he's wanted to have all of Hinata's attention.

It's sometime in the mid-afternoon when Kageyama decides that he's got a crush on Hinata.

Nothing special had happened. They'd just made their way into a cave and climbed up on to a ledge to sit on so they weren't in the water. Hinata was looking around the cave admiring it and Kageyama just knew in that moment that none of these feelings were because he wanted to be Hinata's friend. No, these feelings are because he wants to be more than Hinata's friend.

Of course, he still thinks that the boy is a dumbass loud-mouth but he's a very cute dumbass loud-mouth that Kageyama would be interested in kissing.

In some ways, Kageyama feels like he's changed over night. Like he woke up and suddenly fancies his best friend. It probably seems that way but deep down, he knows that he's most likely been denying this crush for some.time. After all, he did have that dream and he acknowledges now that what he was feeling was jealous everytime he laid eyes on girl #1.

It is sudden and that scares him. He doesn't let that show, though. He can't let Hinata know that he's crushing on him.

As sappy as it is, their friendship does.mean a lot to him and he doesn't want to ruin that with awkwardness. He's barely accepted all this himself so telling Hinata is in the far, far, far future if it's in the future at all.

Pushing aside his thoughts, Kageyama dives back into the water. Hinata is just as restless as ever and so they've been swimming from small cave to small cave all morning and for the best part of the afternoon too.

"Wah! Kageyama, look!" Hinata yells, splashing about.

"Hey! Idiot, stop splashing me!" Kageyama growls. Hinata stops and so Kageyama asks "What is it I'm meant to be looking at?"

Hinata points towards what looks like a large rock. Kageyama is about to ask what the idiot is looking at but then he sees the small opening at the water's surface.

"We have to go explore it!" Hinata beams.

"It could be a deadend that means we drown." Kageyama points out as they make their way towards the rock.

Hinata considers Kageyama's words and bites his lip. His eyes then light up as he gets an idea and he's smiling again. "Let's get a rope! We'll tie it around my waist and if I want to be pulled back out, I'll tug twice and if it's safe for you to come through I'll tug once."

Kageyama sighs. "It would make more sense for me to go through. I swim faster."

"I can hold my breath for longer." Hinata counters.

They glare at each other for nearly a full minute before Kageyama sighs. "Fine. Don't blame me if you drown."

Hinata cheers, pleased to have won this.

They return to the house to find some rope. In the end they manage to find some in a cupboard that appeared to have lots of random things inside, ranging from manga to an ironing board.

Seeing as Hinata was oh so eager to go into the cave, Kageyama makes him carry it when they swim back to the rock. It wasn't too far but Hinara seemed to have a little bit of trouble carrying all the rope.