Chapter Nine

"You really like my brother, don't you?" Blaze asked as Hunter walked out of the room.

I doubt that he heard what she just asked me. I just looked at her as she raised an amused eyebrow at me. I cleared my throat and looked at the door again, then back at Blaze.

"I probably do..." I admitted, making her grin.

I tried getting away from Hunter, but he just wouldn't get off my tail. We followed me almost everywhere. He always asked me to visit Blaze with him or would just come up with some sort of excuse to stay with me at school. Usually during lunch break he would just be around us, since he wanted to stay away from Alyssa. I didn't know what to do now. My heart wanted more Hunter, but my mind knew that that would only endanger his life.

"I'm glad he finally has someone who cares and understands him..."

I smiled and place my hand on hers. "I do care and I'll always try to be there for him."

"He likes you too, you know." she shot me a knowing smile.

My mind automatically thought back to that kiss and I felt myself blush. "Yeah... I know..."

She giggled. "Look, Zoe. You're the first person I've met in a while and because of certain reasons, Hunter doesn't really allow me to meet new people, so the fact that he trusts you enough to bring you here says a lot. Please teach my brother how to love again. Please save his life..."

I gave her hand a squeeze. "I know events change people, but you guys made it. You'll be better." I smiled and she smiled back.

"You'll make it too, Zoe..." she swallowed harshly. "I know you will."

The light turned red and Hunter stopped. "Blaze is amazing..." I smiled to myself.

"Yeah, I know. I'm shocked she likes you." he said making me gasp.

"How mean."

We finally reached the school and Hunter parked his car. It was lunch break and I immediately noticed Alyssa sitting under the tree along with some classmates. We hopped out of the car. Hunter took out cigarette as he leaned against his car. Placing it between his lips and lighting it afterwards without a care in the world. I just stared at him and shook my head.

"Stop smoking." I said and the moment I realized that I once again spoke without realizing it, my hand covered my mouth.

Shut up, Zoe!

Hunter raised an eyebrow at me before throwing the cigarette to the ground and stepping on it. "There, I stopped."

I smiled. "Alright then. I'm going over to Alyssa now." I took my bag out of the car.

He nodded and I turned around to walk away, but he grabbed me by my wrist and pulled me towards him. I stared at him in pure and utter shock as my hands rested on his chest with his arms wrapped around me. The burns on my body stung, but the moment his forehead rested against mine, it was as if I had forgotten everything. I felt people staring at us as they passed us and I could even hear them whisper certain things, but the pounding of my heart muffled all the sound. An image of Tony's angry face flashed through my head, but before I could push Hunter away, he planted a kiss on my forehead before letting go of me.

My fingertips automatically touched the spot he kissed and I frowned with an amused look on my face. "What was that?"

"Do you want one on your lips?" both of his eyebrows raised and I noticed this almost mocking expression dancing on his face.

I felt my face burning up. "No, thanks. I'll pass." I said almost immediately before running off.

Stupid, Hunter.