Chapter Six

"Where the hell have you been?!" Tony stepped in front of me as soon as I entered the house.

His arms crossed over his chest and I gulped. "I was in the library with Alyssa, so I didn't realize that it was late already."

He just stared at me for a few seconds before pointing towards the kitchen. I nodded and quickly ran into the kitchen. I tied my hair in a bun, washed my hands, and started preparing their meal. I was a hundred percent sure I wasn't going to get to eat today, and I really didn't care anymore. Once I was finally done with preparing everything, I walked into my room and right at that moment there was a knock at the door. I quickly locked my door and jumped in bed. I kept thinking of Hunter. The way he looked at me when he suddenly switched to his bad side. Come to think of it, that was the first time I had ever seen Hunter laugh. It wasn't for a good reason, but at least he laughed and it made my heart beat faster. I couldn't like Hunter, he's a murderer. He's like Tony in a way...

But why am I still not scared of him like I'm scared of Tony?

Hunter and I could never be either way. He's on a way different level. I looked at the cut on my thigh. Knowing that these scars were going to haunt me my entire life somehow made them hurt even more. Tony knew exactly what he was doing. He was creating these scars on my body as if he were writing a story –the story of how he could do whatever he wanted to me, of how I would never ever be able to forget him. He didn't only imprint himself as a trauma deep in my heart, but also on my body. Tony himself was a scar that would never fade. Tears filled my eyes. This dark void in my heart made my chest heavy. It was as if it blocked the air from my lungs. It was this unexplainable emptiness and pain that whispered to me to end it all. If I ended myself, the pain would automatically end too. There was nothing to lose here besides my life. As if I were in a trance, I got up from my bed and walked to my bathroom, stopping right in front of my sink. I looked at the razor blade I held so many times, but just couldn't get the courage to do it. But now, enough was enough. This was the only way out of this hellhole and I was done with all of this. I didn't want to live through Tony's torture anymore. I was so tired of it all. I reached for the blade, but the sound of someone banging on my bedroom door stopped me. Frowning I walked to my door, knowing it was Tony. If I don't open this door now, who knows what he'll do with me later. I slowly opened the door and as I expected, there stood Tony right in front of me.

"Yes, Tony?" I asked, looking at the floor.

"Look at me." he sounded pissed.

I slowly raised my gaze. His hands were stuffed in his pockets. His black hair was nicely styled to the back and his black suit made him look even more dangerous than he already was. His jaw clenched. His dark eyes connected with mine and before I could blink, his hand raised and smacked me right across the face. The sudden took me by surprise which lead me to lose my balance and fall to the floor. My left cheek pounded and I was sure it left a bruise.

"Next time, add less salt. I'll fucking kill you." was all he said before casually walking away.

"Zoe," Alyssa called, making me look at her. "Are you alright? You've been so off today..."

"Nothing, Aly. I'm fine." I breathed out and looked ahead of me as I walked.

"Sure, I'll believe that." she said as she stared at me.

I didn't say anything; I just continued walking. I was too devastated to respond to anything right now. I closed my eyes and the events of yesterday flashed in front of my eyes. My breath caught in my throat and I opened my eyes again. I shouldn't think about it anymore, I told myself. I breathed out as my breathing went even again and I looked ahead of me again. It was lunch break and Alyssa and I just found out that we're free for the rest of the day. I could go home, but I didn't want to. I didn't want to see Tony's nasty face. I felt a shiver run down my spine from disgust as I thought about yesterday. I had that razor right in front of me and yet I couldn't do anything. We reached this small café not that far from our school.

"Are you sure you won't buy yourself some food?" Alyssa asked rather concerned.

I looked at her and shook my head. She breathed out and walked over to the counter while I sat on one of the chairs as I waited for her to be over with it. I had no idea what was going on in my life right now. Everything was chaos. I was at war with myself. I had no idea what I was feeling, neither did I know what the purpose of living was. I just knew that I wanted all this to end. It didn't matter whether it ended while I am still breathing, or dead, covered in blood. I just wanted it to end.

"Here you go." Alyssa handed me a sandwich.

I looked at her and frowned. "I didn't ask for one," I said and she nodded.

"I know you didn't ask for any, but I'm smart enough to notice that you're hungry." she said and I took the sandwich out of her hand.

"Thanks. I have no idea what I'd do without you," I said and she smiled.

"I know. I'm awesome." she chuckled and I laughed as I shook my head at her.

We walked out of the café and headed to the school. Alyssa was just the most amazing person ever. I have no idea what I would have done without her. Alyssa has always been there for me and has taken care of me as if I were her little sister. That was the best feeling I've ever felt in my entire life. I took a bite of my sandwich as we walked towards the benches and sat down. I continued eating as I spoke with Alyssa. I wanted to tell her so badly, but I couldn't.

"We need to talk about something." Alyssa looked at me.

I looked at her and frowned once again. "What's wrong?"

"I need to know what's going on between you and Hunter." she crossed her arms over her chest and shot me a skeptical look. "What happened yesterday was not normal."

I breathed out as I stared at her. I should have seen this coming. "Hunter and I met." I said and she raised her eyebrows at me. "Well, this guy was bothering me and Hunter appeared out of nowhere and knocked him out."

"He really did?" her eyes grew wide.

"He did!" I nodded eagerly. "It's not something you'd expect from him, right?"

"Yeah, but you do know what kind of guy he is right?"

Of course, I do...

"I do..." I breathed out.

"Stay away from him, Zoe." Alyssa's hand rested on mine. I opened my mouth to say something, but she cut me off. "I'm serious. Otherwise I'll tell your brother."