Chapter Thirteen

~Chapter Thirteen~

*Artie*

I've been on the phone for the past twenty minutes with Lee trying to work through her algebra homework with her.

"No, you don't just get rid of the fractions." I explained for about the fiftieth(I had to use the dictionary for that one) time.

"But I don't like the fractions," she said. "They don't make any sense! They're not supposed to have letters in them!"

"Lee, the letter is a number." I said to her slowly.

"No it's not! It's quite obviously a letter!"

"Would you like me to explain this in person for you tomorrow in homeroom?" I asked her, it would be so much easier to get the point across if she could see me explain it.

"I have a better idea. Do you want to come over? My parents won't let me go outside if I don't get my homework done." She sounded like a little kid on a Saturday.

"Sure." I said, super excited. I'd be able to see here now and be inside her house.

"Okay. Feel free to bring Chase if he still needs help with his reading questions. I'll text you my address."

"Sounds like a plan." I told her. She hung up and moments later I got a text with her address, not that I'd need it.

I threw my books in my bag and went downstairs. Chase was watching TV and I rolled my eyes at him. "If you want to come with I'm going to Lee's house. I'm helping her with her algebra and she'll help you with your reading."

He hopped up and I went to tell Mom and Dad.

"No. You're grounded." Dad said, his face serious.

"You can't stop me. She's my mate and it's for educational purposes. Chase is coming with me too." I told him firmly. He couldn't dictate if and when I saw Lee.

He cracked a smile and he clapped me on the back. "Good job, son. You stood up for what you believed it."

 I shook my head at him and as I was walking out the door Mom said, "Take a picture, honey. Oh or better yet, invite her over. I want to meet my future daughter-in-law.

I sighed. "Mom, I've only known her for a day. Maybe later on but it's too soon now. She'll think I'm creepy and weird."

"Then I want my picture!" she yelled as I closed the door behind me.

Chase got in the driver's seat of our little, blue Ford Ranger. He started it up and pulled out of the driveway and onto some back road. After a few minutes we were on the main road on the way to Lee's house.

We listened to some music on the way and I idly wondered what kind of music Lee liked. I made a mental to note to ask her.

When we pulled into her driveway and Chase had the truck turned off I grabbed my bag and hopped out. Chase followed suit and before long we were standing at her front door. Before I could knock the door was pulled open and Lee's grandmother was standing there. All five foot two inches of her.

"Who are you?" she asked, eyeing us up.

"I'm Artie and this is my brother Chase." I told her, motioning to myself then Chase.

A smile broke out on her face. "You punched Kevin in the face?" I nodded. "Good. I like you." She pointed her finger at me. "Come on in. I'll let Lee know you're here."

We stepped in the house and she shut the door behind us. "LEE, YOUR DETENTION BUDDY IS HERE!" That tiny woman sure had a set of vocal cords on her. "I'm Luella by the way."