The Bet *Confusing Thoughts

Happy Reading! (:

Chapter 30 *Confusing Thoughts*

~Drake

Tick tock.

Tick tock.

Tick tock.

The only sound comes from my watch, the beat of our hearts, and the soft breathing of Pie. I glance at my wrist watch and see that it’s passed midnight. 

Today’s the tenth day. A lot has happened already. It feels like I’ve known Pie my whole life. It’s not even two weeks yet. It seems impossible, but it’s true.

Who would have thought I’ll bring her here? Even Andre doesn’t know this place.

I don’t know when the rain stopped falling from the sky. We can’t go home because it’s dark. Even though I know this place, I am not that familiar. We might get lost, and I can’t let that happen.

I roll on my side and face her. She looks innocent, like an angel. She’s very different from my nightmare of her. This sleeping girl beside me is Pie.

Did she hear what I said to her before she fell asleep? Maybe not. Her eyes were already dropping at that time.

Her lips are trembling and she mumbles something quietly.

Is she awake?

Sleep talking.

“Matt,” she murmurs.

Matt? She’s dreaming about her brother?

A tear escapes from the corner of her eyes.

Before I know what I’m doing, I raise my hand and wipe it away with my fingers. I let my hand linger on her cheek, softly brushing the scratches she got from hiking and running. Her face is soft, like a baby.

I push the hair that is falling on her eyes. My hand has a mind of its own-- it holds her silk hair and play with it.

My forefinger traces the side of her jaw, her nose, and her eyelids. She has long eyelashes. I catch myself before I touch her lips. Our faces are so close, it makes me remember last night.

We almost kissed! Can you believe it? It was as if there was a pull moving towards us, wanting us to get close. And that’s when my cell phone rang, breaking the connection between us.

I don’t want to think what could have happen if it didn’t ring. What’s the point?

The point is you’re thinking about it.

Pfft. It will never happen.

I’m so confused! I can’t even distinguish which is which; my pretend actions from my real ones.

Pie squirms on her blanket; she’s shivering.

I take my blanket off me and place it on top of hers carefully, to not wake her. And then I lie down again, turning my back on her. If I face her, I might not be able to sleep because I’ll just stare at her whole night. It's cold but I can manage. I shut the voice inside my head and wait for a sleepless dream to come.

Without opening my eyes, I know that it’s morning. The ray of the sun is hot, even behind my close eyelids.

Is Pie still sleeping? I strain to hear clearly but the only sound comes from her normal breathing. I assess my position without opening my eyes.

In my sleep, I roll over to the side so I’m facing her. My hand is touching something warm in this cold place. I peek under my lashes and see that my hand is resting on her arm.