The Bet *Compromise

Another trailer --->

The song is If You Can’t Live Without Me, Why Aren’t You Dead Yet by Mayday Parade.

Happy Reading :)

Chapter 3 *Compromise*

 ~ Sophia

“What do you don’t understand in the lesson?”

I am forced to tutor Drake because he doesn’t understand A Midsummer Night’s Dream by William Shakespeare, the play we are currently analyzing in Literature. We’re just on Act 2 Scene 1 but I already finished reading it. I don’t know why he doesn’t get it; it’s quite simple, really.

Drake is looking at me like he’s trying to figure me out. I try to act confident, and not be intimidated by his presence. After Literature, we agreed to meet in the library after both our classes ended. He suggested that we should meet at the coffee shop across the school but I refused.

So here I am, sitting across from him, staring at his awfully handsome face as he tries to read the play.

How can this guy be Driana’s twin? Yeah, they have the same sapphire eyes which look good on them. I don’t know anyone else sharing the same hue as theirs.

“You know,” Drake says, interrupting my thoughts and looking at me, “I can’t think properly when I’m hungry. So why don’t we eat first, and then you can teach me later?”

I start to protest but he cuts me off. “It's on me.”

Hah! What does he think of me? Someone he can buy? A gold digger? Someone who will go with him because it’s free? My ego is hurt. I push my chair off and stand up. As I’m about to walk away, he grabs my arm to stop me. I look pointedly at his hand but he doesn’t let go.

“I’m sorry," he says quickly, "I didn’t mean to--”

“If you want me to teach you, listen carefully,” I say through gritted teeth. “First, let go of my arm.”

He looks at me hesitantly but still let go. I cross my arms across my chest to stop them from shaking.

“Second, I have a lot of things to do and place to go, so please cooperate.” The last part is a lie, but I know he doesn’t notice.

“Okay Ma’am,” he says under his breath.

He still has the nerve to joke. “Lastly, don’t kid around.”

That earns me a bored look from him. I hope he gets my point. He resumes reading so I sit back on my chair. I don’t know why I over reacted but he shouldn’t think low of me. I get him to be speechless - one for Sophia, zero for Drake.

He knows nothing about me. He doesn’t know that after class, I usually go here, in the library, to study. I don’t have anywhere else to go; going home is not on the list. As far as possible, I want to stay here as long as I can, but the library closes at six in the evening. So whether I like it or not, I have to go home and study there.

But I cannot. How can I study if there is constant yelling and screaming in the background? So when that happens, which is always, I put my headphones in their full volume so as not to hear my parents fight. I’d rather have loud music as my background noise instead of them. There are some days and nights when the house is silent. That means one of them is not home. I tried to runaway but I have no where else to go so I end up coming back.

Home. Home. Home.

Where is that? Before, my home was where he was. My refuge, my hero, my first love.