The Bet *Against All Odds

The song is Absolutely (Story of a Girl) by Nine Days. Thank you to AnotherUnkownPerson for suggesting it! :> Banner by Nathasya Thio. Facebook page on the External link! :)

***

Happy Reading!

Chapter 46 *Against All Odds*

~Sophia

A few days have passed since I got the call. Although my mind was fuzzy at that time, I'm not stupid to not recognize the voice when I woke up. It only belonged to him - the one that can't be named.

What did he mean when he said he's back? He's back- where? In this town? In my life?

For the past few days, I became paranoid; always looking behind my back, afraid that someone is following me. I hate him for making me feel this way! Why can't he just leave me alone? I'm starting to have a normal life. Why now? Why ruin everything? He already broke my dreams a few years ago! Isn't he already tired of it? Ugh!

My mind wants to explode because of the problems surrounding it. Him, the bet, my parents still keeping a secret to me.

I can solve the problems one at a time. And I can start with my parents.

I almost forgot what I found out when I stayed at Andre's place. The thing he told me about our families and how my parents keep it a secret from me. It's time to ask them about it. There's no need to prolong the moment. Besides, there's a possibility that they won't tell me.

"Mom," I start.

My mom and I are in the living room, while my dad is in his room, resting. He easily gets tired after his operation. When they came back after his check up, the doctor didn't find anything wrong. At least that went well.

"Yes?"

"Remember the accident that killed Matt?"

She glances at me and stops doing her work. "Yes," she says in a strain voice. "Why?"

"Do you know the man on the other car?" I ask, fighting the urge to stay calm.

"Sophia," she begins, realization clouding her eyes. "I . . . I'm sorry we didn't tell you. It's just; we didn't want to hurt your feelings by reminding you of that accident."

"Mom," I murmur, tears brimming at the back of my eyes. "I'm not a child anymore. You don't have to keep secrets for my own sake! I'm seventeen, I'm not afraid of big news. I can handle them." Even news that can change my life. Circumstances and situations help me to be brave.

She stares at me like she's seeing me for the first time. "I'm sorry for not telling you about it."

"Promise me you won't keep a secret to me anymore," I mumble, wiping at the tears flowing from my eyes.

"I promise." She stands up and goes to where I am. She pulls me towards her and gives me a hug. "Who told you?" she asks, brushing my tangled hair away from my face.

"A-Andre," I stutter. My voice comes out raspy so I clear my throat.

"When?"

"A few days after you left me in their house," I answer. "He thought I knew."

"He's a good person," she says thoughtfully.

I don't reply because I don't what to say. As if I can tell her that the person he thought good is playing with his best friend to destroy her daughter's heart.