Chapter Nine: Fluttershy

Fluttershy's POV

****************

"Wait, Pinkie, come back!" I called after my friend's retreating fluffy tail. "Wait . . ." I cursed myself in my head for making her sad like that. Me and my big mouth!

I went back inside, closing the door behind me. Angel, my pet bunny-rabbit, hopped up to me with a clock. He pointed at it urgently. I checked the time on it. 6:47!

"Oh, no!" I gasped. "Big Macintosh's coming any minute!" I bit my lip and hurriedly decided I didn't need any clothes for a date with Big Mac. I quickly brushed my mane and tail and put a little flower clip in my mane. 6:56!!

"Do I look ok?" I frantically asked Angel. He studied me, then shook his head. I watched as he rummaged through my clip drawer, and selected a butterfly one, then replace my flower clip with that. Then he nodded. 6:59 . . . !

Knock Knock.

"He's here!" I whispered excitedly to Angel, who ran away to hide. I composed myself and walked over to the door cooly, then opened it. "Hi," I murmured.

"Fluttershy," Mac greeted, nodding. I noticed he wasn't wearing his normal wooden yoke-thing. "Ready?" I nodded. "Let's go then."

We walked into town, me having no idea where we were going. I supposed Mac did, since he arranged the date, after all.

"So, where are we going?" I asked finally. Mac looked at me in a way that I could tell meant, "Are you seriously asking me that?" I forgot we already decided on dinner.

"We're here," Mac said, stopping.

"Oh," I stammered stupidly, looking up at the restaurant in front of us. It was called The Lucky Star Diner&Bar. I'd never been here before. I'd never really gone to a diner before. I preferred things like cafes and Sugarcube Corner food with my friends.

"I go here occasionally," Mac explained. "With Applejack." Applejack. Did she know what Mac and I were doing? If she knew, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be that happy.

"Oh," I repeated, not knowing what else to say. What was there to say? I love this place? You look nice today?

"Do you have a reservation?" asked the dark blue male unicorn standing behind the front counter thing as we walked in. I saw a dark blue aura go around a fat book (probably for the reservations) and come to him. I was shocked that such a small, not that fancy place could have reservations.

"Eeyup," Mac answered. "Apple." The unicorn checked his fat book while I studied my surroundings. The diner was cozy, with a little bar section on one side and booths and tables with chairs on the other.

"Table for two?"

"Eeyup."

"Right this way, please," the unicorn levitated two menus with his horn and marched into the diner, Mac and I close behind. "Would you like a booth or regular table?" Mac and I looked at each other. I waited for him to say "booth," or "table", but he didn't. It took me a while to realize he was waiting for me to decide.

"Booth or table?" the unicorn said again with an annoyed scowl on his face. So impatient!

"Uh," I stammered. "B-booth, please." The unicorn set the menus magically down in a booth. I slowly put my hindquarters on the cold, leathery seat. Mac did the same. We each took a menu.

'Oh, what should I get?' I thought, glancing nervously at Big Macintosh. 'Will he judge me if I only get a salad? I don't think he would, but what if he does?' I peeked at the menu again, then looked up.

"W-what are you getting?" I asked Mac. He looked up from his menu and shrugged.

"I don't know yet," he said. "Do you?" I was a little surprised at his words. Even though he said a lot that night he asked me out, I was still not used to Mac talking. It wasn't natural yet for me. He usually only said two words: "Eeyup" and "Nope."

"N-no," I stuttered, and stuck my muzzle into the salad section of the menu. This was so embarrassing and awkward! Rarity sure had guts to do this all the time. Then again, she wasn't really shy at all.

-Regular Salad (lettuce, chopped apples, sprinkle of oats, and choice of dressing) ................. 5 bits

Maybe I would get that. Was it too boring? 'Shut up, Fluttershy, food isn't "boring,"' I scolded myself. 'Food is food, and that's all that matters.' I sighed softly and looked at the salads again. Maybe I could get a soup . . . ? No, salads.

-Barnyard Mixture (hay, oats, apple slices, and ranch dressing) ............... 9 bits

That sounded good. Would it be insulting to Mac? I mean, it was called the "Barnyard Mixture" after all. I decided not to risk it. I scanned the menu frantically, knowing that a waiter or waitress would come soon.

Just as I said that, a female unicorn stopped at Mac and I's table. "Hello, my name is Lemon Drop and I'll be serving you today," she said. I noticed her Cutie Mark was a notepad and pen. "Can I get y'all something to drink?" She had a heavy Southern accent.

"I'd like a sparkling apple cider, please," Big Mac said. Lemon Drop wrote something down and turned to me.

"And what would you like, sweetie?" she asked. I gulped. Would Mac judge me if I got water? Or should I get apple cider too? I was so confused and nervous.

"Um, j-just water, please." Lemon wrote something else down and left with a smile. Mac didn't look at me funny or anything, so I guessed water was ok.

"So . . . are you ready to order?" I asked casually.

"Eeyup, you?" I faltered.

"Uh . . . not really," I admitted. Mac didn't look fazed. Ok, so I could keep looking. I bit my lip and glared at the salad section. Stupid me for only wanting a salad! If only I could want something with more food in its section. There weren't many salads to choose from.

-Fruitalicious (apple, orange, tomato, and peach slices, grapes, and sprinkled with brown sugar) ................. 7 bits

'This isn't technically a salad, but it'll have to do,' I thought, putting my menu down.

"You read to order?" Mac asked me. I nodded, and he nodded. We sat in awkward silence until Lemon Drop came back with our drinks.

"Here's your apple cider, sweetie," she cooed, giving Mac his drink. I almost giggled. Sweetie? "And your water, honey." She then gave me my water. I sipped it. "Now, y'all ready to order?"

"Yes, please," I murmured, surprised at myself for speaking first. "Um . . . I'd like the Fruitalicious salad, right here." I showed Lemon where it was. I felt pretty silly saying that word.

"And I'd like the Barnyard Mixture," Mac ordered. I gaped inwardly. Only a salad? And the name wasn't offensive to him? Or maybe I was just being really, really stupid and nervous.

"Alright, darlings, that'll be out in a sec," Lemon promised, taking our menus.

"You're only ordering a salad?" I questioned quietly. Big Mac nodded, smiling. I blushed under his gaze, retreating to go hide under my pink mane.

"Eeyup," he answered. "You too, huh?" I didn't answer. Mac didn't seem to care, which I liked. After a bit, I decided to come out of my mane and speak up. We were one date, right? Weren't you supposed to have fun?

"Are-are you sure that's enough for you?"

"Eeyup," Mac used his normal word. "It's what I git every time I come here."

"Oh," I whispered. I really needed to think of something more interesting. "Um, how's your family?" I cringed. We weren't even a couple yet, I couldn't just randomly invade his family business! But Big Macintosh didn't seem to mind.

"Applejack's fine, ya should know her, Apple Bloom's jus' hangin' out with her other two friends and goin' to school, and Granny Smith is doin' Granny Smith stuff, cookin', sewin', nappin', the works. All in all, they're all great." I again was startled by his long stream of words.

"That-that's good," I said stupidly. From then on, the conversation flowed much better. We talked about random things, Sweet Apple Acres, my animals, friends, family. I actually started to have a good time. I didn't even notice when our food came until Lemon Drop floated it in front of my face.

"Oh!" I exclaimed, shocked. That was fast. "I mean, thank you." Big Mac received his food and took a bite of an apple slice. I looked at my food and politely ate one of the orange slices. "This is nice food." I commented.

"Eeyup, knew you'd think so," Mac said proudly. We ate and talked. It was very cozy, and I found myself unraveling to Big Mac and beginning to like him more.

"Do ya want dessert?" Mac asked me when we finished. I shrugged.

"Do you?"

"Sure, and besides, I wanna show ya this great apple dessert they have." I loved apples, so I agreed. Lemon took our dishes and we ordered the dessert, Apple Heaven.

-Apple Heaven (red delicious, golden delicious, and Granny Smith apple slices, dipped in melted caramel+chocolate, then swirled in brown+white sugar and chopped nuts) ................ 10 bits

It sounded wonderful, and I was really excited to try it. When it arrived, both Mac and I's eyes lit up. It was probably the best dessert I'd ever tasted. The apples were crunchy and fresh, the caramel and chocolate were rich with flavor and perfectly sweet, and the nuts were fresh as nuts can be.

Later that evening, Big Mac walked me home. We didn't talk, but now the silence wasn't awkward. It was sweet silence.

*****************************************************************************************

YAY ANOTHER CHAPTER WOOP WOOP WOOP!!!!! I LOVE WRITING!!!! WEEEEE I ALSO LOVE FRIED CHICKEN AND ICE CREAM AND TISSUES AND PEANUT BUTTER AND MLP AND BOOKS AND MUSIC AND SINGING AND PLAYING GAMES AND MY FRIENDS AND MY FAMILY AND EVERYTHING I HAVE IN MY LIFE YEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Idk what that was.

Anyway ..... this chapter was fun to write for some reason. I always enjoyed conjuring up some restaurant menus!!! I LOVE THAT FOR SOME REASON!!! :D!!!!

This chapter is dedicated to @Danosawr for #beingawesome and saying I should write more!! AND TRUST ME I WILL!!!!! YAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!

@Sonia2002 YOU'RE AWESOME!!!! #stayawesome

@AngelJacksonLP YOU'RE THE BEST!!!!! #stayawesome

@NerdyPie THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! #stayawesome

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYA!!!!!!!!!!

I FEEL LOVED!!!! I MEAN 400+ reads, 29 votes, and 54 comments!!!! THIS IS MORE THAN I EVER DREAMED FOR!!! To some of you that's really small, but OH WELL IT'S BIG TO ME!!!!!!! WEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

THANKS SO MUCH YO-YOS!!!!!!!

Vote

Fan

Comment

<3 U!!!!!