•43•

Drew

I threw my suit coat on my bed, loosening my tie that strained my neck. Undoing the first few buttons of my black dress shirt so I could actually breathe.

I went into my matchbox sized bathroom connected to my room and sat on the white tiled, grimy floor. My back against the wall with my forearms propped on my risen knees.

I did not expect it to come out that way. I pictured it to be more. . . . romantic I guess? Wait. No. No. That word makes me cringe.
I know, I was a jerk and shouldn't have been so hard on her.

I guess I just wanted her to see that I've changed. But if I'm being honest with myself, I never changed. The bad boy was never really me. The whole bad boy facade only derived from Mom and Lise's death to cover my hurt. I didn't like the feeling of vulnerability. But over time, it just bled into my personality.

When I first came to Arlington High, Will was the one who befriended me. Showed me the ropes. Introduced me to the right people.

My popularity didn't skyrocket until my sophomore year though. Will is also the only one entrusted with my secret. He knew this whole time. He advised that if I went through with Lea's little plan, she wouldn't suspect anything. No body would for that matter.

Blair. Blair was the only way to make it up to her. To help her sister get through the hardship.

Blair was in the middle of a downward spiral and I wanted to be there for her. In hopes that two broken spirits could mend each other.

Maybe I did have feelings for her at one point. But my feelings toward Blake never faded and were too strong for us to be anything. Flirting is my second nature, and I didn't mean to lead her on.

My phone vibrated in my pocket, buzzing me out of my thoughts. Will's name appeared on the dimmed screen.

"Yeah," I answered exasperatedly.

"Where you at man?"

"Home," I said emotionlessly.

"Oh. Am I. . . interrupting something?" I knew exactly what he was implying.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. "No, William."

"That's weird. I thought Blake would be with you."

I laughed dryly. "No."

"Because Blake is gone man."

I took my back off the wall. "The hell you talkin' about?"

"I think she left."

I quickly got up from the floor and yanked the door open.

There she was.

Sitting with poise on my bed looking more beautiful than ever. Her hair was no longer pinned up, instead her soft loose waves that I always wanted to run my fingers through, framed her face perfectly as it fell to her shoulders.

"I gotta go," I said, keeping my eyes on her.

I hung up and let my phone fall back into my pocket. Blake got up from her spot, twiddling with her fingers nervously.