•10•

Blake

I've been sitting here, staring at the blank wall for two hours letting time pass me by. Locked in the same room. I don't think that man is here either. The silence hasn't been broken for a while now.

I looked the left side of me and saw a door to what I presume is a small closet or maybe a bathroom. I got up and walked towards it skeptically, not knowing what awaited me behind it.

I twisted the knob and pulled the door open.

It was a closet. No clothes or anything hung upon the long horizontal poles that circled the tiny room.

A single bright lightbulb on chain hung from the ceiling. I noticed a screwdriver that lied in the corner. I picked it up wiped the dust off of it. I got on my knees and stared at the blank wall before me.

Switching my gaze between the screwdriver and at the wall, I gripped the screwdriver tightly and etched a straight line in the wall. It's my first full day in this place.

I knew that I was going to be here for a long time. I backed myself into the corner and bring my knees to my chest, staring at my carving that one day will be hundreds of carvings.

I leaned my head against to the adjacent wall and exhaled loudly. What am I supposed to do while he's gone? As my eyes scanned the room once more, I noticed something hanging off of the shelf. I stood up and took it down. It was a polaroid with scribbled cursive in the caption portion.

With the blue ink smearing it read, my sarah 1995. The photo was of a women with dirty blonde hair falling a little passed her shoulders. Her piercing green eyes stared back at me. A smile slightly tugged at her perfect deep red contoured lips.

She wore a lavender button down with her arms crossed. She was beautiful with her even fair skin. Who is this women? A dozen of ideas ran through my mind. Wife? Sister? Friend?

I sat the picture back on the shelf, pulling on the metal chain that hung from above and the light shuts off. I walked back in the room and sat on the bed, thinking to myself that there's no way that I could escape.

The windows were sealed shut and aren't meant to be opened. I'm never getting out of here. My eyes were getting heavier and heavier and I blinked slower. I didn't really sleep last night.

I was cold with nothing but the stinky mattress to shudder on. I tossed and turned, frightened of what might happen today. I still am, this man was capable of anything.

He already told me that he would kill me at one point or another. I tried not to dwell on it though. Before I knew it, I drifted off into a deep sleep on the naked bed.

*

The sound of the door unlock jarred me from my slumber. The window no longer showed the vivid colors of the green foliage and blue sky. It was pitch black. How long did I sleep?

I hulled myself up and rubbed my eyes, quickly frightened to see a tall figure standing in front of me.

"Follow me into the kitchen. Now," He commanded. I wasn't hesitant to do as he ordered. I was a bit dizzy as followed.

I saw a black laptop rested on the wooden table as we entered the kitchen. He laid a firm hand on my shoulder blade and forcefully sat me down on the chair.

The bright screen reflected off my face, giving it a glow. I stared at the homepage of MSN, puzzled. The screen changed with different headlines every few seconds.

"W-what's your name?" I found enough courage to ask.

"Just shut your mouth and listen," He snapped. Leaned up against the sink, he crosses his arms and stares at me coldly. He seemed angry about something. He sucked in a breath before speaking.

"The name is Jace. I'm an old friend of your parents," His statement took me off guard.

He knows my parents?

"Diana and Robert were my closest friends back in the day. I was his best man in their wedding."

I've only seen one of my parent's wedding photos because Mom doesn't like anyone touching them.

"Back then, your father was just getting his business up and running. So being the friend that I was, I gave him a loan. A huge loan. A $50,000 loan," He emphasized.

"That was my money. Takes a long time to earn that. But Robert was my best friend, so I was happy to help him out. In regards to him paying me back. His business took off after that, very successful."

"I, however started running into financial problems. Between my wife getting diagnosed with stage one cancer, it was getting tough to keep paying for her treatment."

Immediately, my mind goes back to the photograph that I found.

"I kept asking him when I was going to get my money back, noting the Taylor Enterprises was bringing in good money. But he kept putting it off, telling me that he would get to it. He never did though. Him and Diana moved, leaving me and my sick wife to struggle!" He started to get heated and I grew apprehensive.

"My wife didn't get better either, she started getting worse and moved to stage two. By then, I was in so much debt. I called Rob constantly but he never gave me the money, only an excuse. Before I knew it, Sara was telling me how she couldn't fight anymore. She didn't want me begging people for money anymore," I could feel the hurt radiating off of him in waves.

"So they cut off her medicine and she..." He gulped looking down at the ground.

"She passed," He finished. My heart broke for him.

"I-I'm sorry," I whispered

"No you're not!"

I flinch at the sudden change of his voice. I cautiously stood from the chair and started to walk backwards into the living room as he began to walk towards me.

"It's because of the selfishness of those people you call parents, that she's dead," He seethed. My heart pounded and my chest heaved while I continued to take small steps backward. I stopped abruptly when I bump into the the couch.

"I'm sor-" His hand whipped across my face.

"Stop saying sorry! If your parents were sorry Sara wouldn't be dead!" He pushed me to the dust infested floor and kicked at my stomach repeatedly.

I rolled around the room as his boot kicked me in different directions, each impact inflicting more painful than the previous one. I winced when Jace hoisted me up by my hair and held me by my neck.

"Your parents got wealth while I got was debt and a dead wife!" I struggled to breathe as he tightened his grip after every word.

When he released me, I thumped to the floor. Tears rolling down my face, I pinched my eyes closed waiting for his next move but it never came. That is until his foot smashed into my face. I rolled onto my back, a thick red stream of blood dripped from my nose.

"Your parents aren't who you think they are Blake."

From what I saw through my blurred vision, he sat on the couch. I stared at the back of his head as I laid helplessly on the ground. I didn't have the energy to pick myself up, the only thing I could do is let the pain set in.

Although he explained everything, there was still one question that went unanswered.

Why am I paying for something that happened when I wasn't even born yet?

______________________

A/N > are you guys liking this story? because sometimes I feel like it's not good enough.

Vote/Comments, much appreciated. xx

- kya h. ∞