Chapter 13

Lila

The party is now just two days away. My friends and I can’t wait. We plan on going shopping the day before the party, for the hottest outfits we can find. Then the day of, we’re going to Lindsay’s house to get ready. Although a couple of times, I’ve wanted to spill the beans to Leila about going with Brandon, I’ve been pretty good. She has no idea… yet. At the party she’s going to have to figure it out. I can’t wait to see her face. She’s probably going with her friends, Holly and Megan and if I know Megan like the rumor mill knows Megan, she’s going to pass this along it and then Leila’s going to go down in complete and total humiliation. What would probably ruin my plans is if Megan is going with Mark Portland, a cute, light skinned black guy on the football team. He has been hitting on her a lot lately. But whatever, this is going to be big; Leila’s humiliation will get back to her even if she isn’t there. I’m just so glad it's me going with Brandon.

“Girls! Dinner is ready!” my mom calls from the kitchen. I wait a few minutes to make sure Leila gets there before me. I’d rather not be stuck behind her on the stairs; she’d probably walk slower so I’d have to wait longer. She’s immature like that a lot.

After I hear her footsteps descend down the stairs; I make my way to the table. Our dinner tonight is mashed potatoes and chicken. I eat it fast because it’s so delicious. When I’m finished I put my plate in the dishwasher and go back to my room. I lie across my bed and dial Lindsay’s number.

“Hey Linds, how’s it going?”

“Lila, Jason is so amazing. You know what he did for me today? My car’s battery died so he walked two whole blocks with a jump cable to charge the battery. Isn’t he amazing? Tell me he’s amazing.”

I roll my eyes, “Yeah Linds, he’s great. A real Prince Charming. Now what’d you get for number three on the English homework? Did you think it was the Rooster crows at midnight too?”

“Yea I did, and number four’s answer is hamsters. But did I tell you what Jason told me yesterday? It was the funniest joke ever…”

I tuned out Lindsay as she told me the rest of her story. I mean, her relationship is great and Jason is just awesome but seriously it’s like he’s all she wants to talk about.  We can’t even have one conversation without his name popping up somewhere. Conversations with her are really staring to get monotonous It’s totally different than a conversation with Brandon, he manages to talk about everything from his dinner to one of Luther’s antics and he still makes it interesting.

“…and he really did look like that!” Lindsay finished with a chuckle.

I’m not quite as amused, “yeah, that’s really funny. Hey look, I’ve got to go. I’m picking you up tomorrow right?”

“Oh ok and yea you are. Bye!”

I hang up the phone and go to the bathroom to brush my teeth. After that I hop in bed and instantly fall asleep.

 The next morning, I’m up early and I put on a red tank top and gray distressed jeans. I also put on my red boots and a leather bomber jacket. I grab my bag before heading downstairs for breakfast. Leila is already in the kitchen eating Cheerios. I hate to say it but she looks really good in a tight, short sleeved burnt orange sweater and black jeans with zippers running along the sides.

“Hey Li-lee!” my mom says coming out of the den. “Did you sleep well?”

“Yea, but I’ve got to go now.”

She brushes a stray hair behind my ear and says, “But you haven’t had breakfast.”

“I’ll pick something up on the way. I have to pick up Lindsay.”

“But I need the car!” Leila yells looking up from her bowl.

“Too bad, you took it Monday and used all the gas! Unless you want to pay for more?”

She looks back down at her bowl, “Oh no it’s ok,” she says.

I’m not surprised. Of course she doesn’t want to pay for gas. It’s a good thing since the tank is actually only halfway down. If she actually paid attention to anything other than herself, she’d know that. I walk out the door and get in the car. I back out of the driveway and head to Lindsay’s house.

After school, Lindsay, Alyssa and I go to the mall.

“Oh my gosh! I love this store!” Alyssa squeals rushing into a small boutique. She ruses over to a rack filled with cute blouses. Almost immediately, she picks out 3 and makes her way over to the dressing rooms at the back of the store. Lindsay gives me a look and I shake my head. Ally has a legitimate shopping issue. If it wasn’t for the party, we wouldn’t have brought her here. I make my way over to the dress rack and after browsing, I spot a two-tone halter bra dress. It’s so cute I know Brandon will love me in it.

As I walk into the dressing room, Alyssa walks out with seven dresses draped across her arm.

She gives me a sheepish grin, “I think I’ll buy ‘em all!”

I shake my head and then she sees my dress, “Wow, if that doesn’t work out for you I’m so going to buy it!”

I glare at her and go into the dressing room determined to make the dress fit. I’m glad that it does and I come out to show it off in front of Alyssa and Lindsay. They both squeal and ask me to spin so they can get a better look.

“It’s perfect!” Lindsay cries, “Brandon will definitely forget about Leila when you wear this!”

I beam and glance at Alyssa who’s suddenly silent. She looks a bit nervous and somewhat guilty I wonder why. I don’t ask her though because Lindsay gets up and shows me her dress. When we’re finished buying our outfits, we get something to eat and go back home.