Chapter 2

Leila

When she passes me in the hallway she flashes yet another triumphant smile in my direction. Once again I get pissed at myself for taking the car this morning. If I hadn’t, it would’ve been me who arrived at school with Brandon Engle’s arm draped across my shoulders.  And it would’ve been me who he sat beside at lunch today. But no, I just had to take the car this morning. Stupid, stupid me. But it doesn’t matter; let her gloat nonverbally all she wants. It’s me he likes. He’s just being nice to her because she’s my sister and he thinks he has to, despite the fact that I’ve told him on numerous occasions that there’s no need. Sure it gets me mad but that just shows how nice he is. Though really it’s kinda overboard sometimes. Like this morning, did he have to put his arm around her shoulders? What didn't help was my friend Megan's "tsks" of disapproval every time the two of them walked by together. As if that would make him remove his arm or her remove her smile. But whatever, to hell with Megan and her disappointment. I've been friends with her long enough to know that she gets wasted after church on Sundays. Once, she even came to school with her bra on backwards because of it. Her right to be disappointed in me dissolved that day.

We see them attached at the hip on our way to Pre-Calc.

"He's just trying to make me jealous. We had a little fight last night after he accused me of flirting with our waiter," I lie before she can shake her head.

She looks at me with new approval and I smirk because I know she'll take that to the rumor mill. Just before we walk in the door to our class, Brandon turns around and behind Lila's back, he winks at me. Even though I'm pretty pissed at him for being with Lila and not me, I smile back because I know Megan will take that to the rumor mill too.

Just as the day's ending, I spot Brandon walking alone, finally free from the scum I’m forced to call my sister.

“Hey Leils,” he says. I nearly melt every time he uses that nickname, it's much better than my mom's Lei-lee.

“Hey yourself,” I say with a smile.

Brandon smiles back and wraps an arm around my waist. It burns where his hand rests. I love the fiery, fuzzy feeling I get when he touches me. I grin and move in closer so our hips touch. It's a little awkward to walk but it's totally worth it. This is way better than an arm on the shoulder. Ha ha Lila, I guess I beat you after all.

We walk to where I’ve parked my car and I wish I’d parked it further away.

“Well, I’ll see you around Leils,” Brandon says when we reach the car.

“Aw do you have to leave?” I plead.

He chuckles at my tone of voice and nods, “Yeah, I’ve got football. You understand right?”

I sigh and nod, “Alright, Bye.”

I’m about to get in the car when Brandon wraps his arms around me in a warm hug. Then his lips brush across my cheek. My whole face feels like its suffering from its own holocaust. My lips turn up in a huge grin. I feel almost delirious. He pushes my hair behind my ear and flashes me a smile. Then he turns around and heads back towards the school. When he reaches the door, he turns and waves. I stay in the same position for a little while longer then climb into the car while still in a daze. As I drive out of the parking lot, I realize that I definitely beat Lila after all.