Chapter 8

Leila

I giggle to myself as I remember the hole I’d cut in Lila’s tunic. I have to admit it was really cute and I couldn’t allow Brandon to think of her as cuter than me.

So of course, today I’m wearing a red chiffon top and stretch flare jeans. On my feet, I wear black London stilettos. I usually don't wear heels to school because the linoleum floors that the janitors constantly mop have been notorious for taking out girls who come to school trying to look like the next Heidi Klum. But today I'm desperate, as funny as the hole in Lila's tunic was, it wasn't enough to dampen her mood after her date last night. And if last night was that great, then I've got to use all the secret weapons and heavy artillery I have.

I’m putting my breakfast dishes in the sink when I hear the doorbell ring. I go to the door and am instantly overjoyed to see Brandon. 

He smiles at me, “Hey Lila,” he says.

I frown. “Lila?” I say confused. He can usually tell us apart, “I’m Leila.”

His smile dims a little. “Oh sorry, it’s just uh… your outfit looks like something Lila would wear. And y’know your hair is straighter today?”

I nod. I guess he’s right. The shirt is Lila’s and, my hair isn’t as frizzy this morning.

“Oh yeah, I borrowed Lila’s shirt,” I chuckle, “don’t tell.”

His smile widens and he nods. “Your secret is safe with me. So do you want a ride?” He gestures towards his car. I nod and say yes.

He takes my hand and leads me to the car. Before we get in, I wrap my arms around his neck and pull him in for a long kiss. I've been taking French for enough years to know what I have to do. He pulls back a few minutes later and says “Wow.” under his breath. Then he looks into my eyes and smiles. I return the smile. He opens the door for me and I get in. He goes around to the driver’s seat. 

Suddenly, I remember something. “Don’t you have football practice?” I ask.

“Nah, it got cancelled,” he replies.

I start laughing because I know that Lila went to school early to see him practice. Brandon raises an eyebrow and gives me a weird look.

“What?” he says.

After a while, I calm down enough to answer him. “It’s nothing,” I say. He continues to stare at me until the traffic light changes to green. When we arrive at school, Brandon finds a parking space and I pull him in for part two of our French movie from earlier. Our bodies are pushing against each other and I've somehow managed to squish myself into the driver's seat with him. I'm nibbling on his ear when I look up and see Lila sitting on the school’s front steps with Lindsay and her other friend, Alyssa Chambers. She looks up and spots us almost immediately. Hmm, so our twin telepathy does work. I smile and wave as Brandon pulls away and sees her too.  Lila and her friends just glare.