Chapter 5

Brandon

When I get to the Osborne house I ring the doorbell. I’m wearing the red shirt and black sports jacket that I know makes me look hot. I’m also wearing khakis and black Nikes. I’ve brought red and white carnations for whichever Osborne twin I’ve asked out. I hope it’s she who answers the door. I really don’t want to deal with the disappointed twin. The door opens and she’s dressed up so it’s my guess she’s my date. I’m pretty sure it’s Lila.

“Hey Brandon,” she says. She looks stunning in a silver halter dress and shoes. Her hair is curled and she wears diamond earrings.

“You look beautiful,” I say as I hand her the bouquet.

“Thank you,” she says. She turns and puts the flowers into a vase.

“Well let’s go,” she says.

“Bye Li-lee!” Her mom says. Though she cringes, I’m glad I now know for sure who it is I’m taking out.

I take her hand and walk her to my car. I look back at the house and see Leila peeking out the window, looking sad. For a second I wish it’s her I’m taking out but then I look back at Lila and realize that I am taking her out. They’re practically the same girl. I squeeze Lila’s hand tighter when I realize how lucky I am to be dating twins. Lila smiles up at me and squeezes my hand too. We get into the car and drive off to the restaurant.

When we get to Chez Roberto’s, I park my car and rush to open the door for Lila. Once again she smiles at me and I can’t resist kissing her on the cheek. She grins wider. We head inside and get seated.

The minute we sit down, Lila starts telling me some story about how she’d once stuck a fork in Leila’s hair dryer. Apparently the fork caused some sparks to fly out and it scared the hell out of Leila, who hadn’t seen the fork. I laugh when she does and nod my head but I’m not really listening. In fact, I’m staring at her glossed lips as she talks and wondering what they would taste like. When she says “fork” she licks her lips and I hate to say it but I can’t think straight anymore.

After her story, I excuse myself to go to the restroom. While I’m up the hot waitress that took our order walks by and points to the alcove near the kitchen. When I make my way over, she gives me a flirty smile and brushes my arm with her fingers. I smile back at her and ask her name.

“Rain,” she says with a smile.

“Rain huh? Can I be the shine?” I wink at her and she blushes.

“Definitely,” she says and moves in closer. I lean down and kiss her first on her cheek, then make my way to her lips. She tastes and smells like cinnamon mixed with vanilla. My tongue slides across her lips until she opens her mouth and our tongues connect. I bite her lip and she lets out a soft moan. After only a minute, she reels back breathing heavily and glances over to where Lila is still sitting, her back to us.  

“Aren’t you on a date?” she asks, her face clouding over.

“Not unless you count going out to dinner with your little sister a date.” I flash her smile.

“Really,” She says, the smile returning to her face. “Well maybe I should give you my number or something.”

I lick my lips and look her up and down, “Maybe you should.”

Before she can take out a piece of paper, someone from the back calls her name and she pouts before hurrying back to work. I make my way back to the table and sit down. A couple minutes later, Rain comes with our food on a tray and sets it down.

“Enjoy your meal,” she says. Lila’s already digging in so she doesn’t see the wink Rain gives me. Lila looks up and comments on how good the service is at this restaurant. I agree with her but I’m not talking about the food. I smile at Rain as she turns around to leave. As she walks, I check out her ass and decide it’s not what I’m going for. Damn, she had so much potential.  

When Rain comes back with our check, I pay the bill. As we get up to go, she hands me the receipt with her number scribbled on the bottom. I look at her with dull eyes and scrunch up the receipt; I toss it in the trash as we walk out of the restaurant. I put my arm around Lila’s waist and pull her closer to me. I don’t need to turn around to know Rain’s mouth has dropped open.

As we head to the car, I pull Lila closer and bury my face in her hair. It smells like raspberries or peaches. I love the smell. I say so.

“Thanks, its apricots.” she says.

Peaches, apricots, same thing. Then I lean down and kiss her lips. They also taste like apricots. After a minute, we’re replaying the scene from the restaurant, our tongues entwining. Apricots definitely beat cinnamon. When I pull away, she looks like she’s in a trance. I almost laugh at the effect my kiss has on her. We get back into the car and I take her home.