Chapter 10

Lila

It was so embarrassing this morning when Leila got a ride from Brandon.  Especially after I’d just told all my friends about my date yesterday. I’d honestly thought Brandon had finally decided to choose me. But no, there he was with Leila. Ugh, it gets me so mad sometimes. Why does Brandon have to like both of us? Sometimes I just wish I’d get over him. But there’s two reasons why I can’t: One, I simply can’t. Brandon’s deep gray eyes and warm smile always makes me feel special. When he touches me, my heart beats so fast, I’m sometimes afraid I’ll go into cardiac arrest. I’m sure Leila doesn’t feel a thing like that. She’s just messing with him, messing with me. That’s the other reason I can’t get over Brandon, Leila would get him. Brandon’s too sweet a guy for me to let that happen to him.  Thing is, there wouldn’t be an issue if she just backed off. But she doesn’t. I’ve got to think of a way to make Leila pay for all the trouble she’s causing. I’m just not sure how or when I’ll be able to do the ultimate damage to her ego.

I'm sitting in the cafeteria when, I see her walk in with Brandon’s arm wrapped around her waist. About a dozen of my friends glance in my direction. I shrug and continue to pick at my salad. This has gone on for way too long. I’ve got to find a way to make Brandon choose me.

As we're eating, Luther Fine, a muscular black-haired, green-eyed football player walks up to our table. He smiles down at us and winks before making his way over to Brandon’s table. He is such a flirt. He’s never had an actual girlfriend but his wink can make almost any girl go head over heels trying to land a date with him. If I wasn’t so into Brandon, I’d probably be doing the same. Faith, one of my friends, starts telling us how great Luther was on their date two months ago. She ends the story by telling us how much she wishes he’d ask her out again.

At the end of lunch, we grab our things and head out the door chattering happily. As I’m walking to my physics class, Brandon runs over to me.

“Hey you,” he says taking my hand.

“Hi Brandon,” I say squeezing his. He smiles at me.

“What’re you doing Friday night?” he asks.

“Um… I don’t know.”

“Luther’s having a house party; his parents are going on vacation. Want to come with?”

I smile and nod.

“Alright, I’ll meet you there ok? I’ve got to help Luther pick music.”

“Ok.”

“Um… after school I’ve got to drop off Leila. I mean because I drove her this morning…” he trails off and looks up at me with his big gray eyes. He looks so torn; I just know he wants to drive me home.

“That’s ok,” I say,” Lindsay’s driving me home anyway.”

He smiles “That’s great. I wouldn’t want you walking home today. It looks like rain.” He says glancing out a nearby window.

“Well I’ll see you later,” I say as I near the door of my class. When I look back at Brandon, for some reason the torn look has come back. I stop and take his hand again.

“Hey, are you okay?” I put my hand on his cheek.

Brandon looks down and scratches his head. “Y- yeah, I’m fine, I just… I-“ He looks up at me, the sadness in his eyes almost palatable.

“Brandon? Whatever it is, you can tell me. I’m here for you.” He looks down again but this time I lift his chin so he’s forced to look at me.

He lets out a soft resigned sigh, “The thing is, Leila heard Luther talking to me about the party. I think she thinks I’m going to take her. So I wanted to ask if you would just keep this a secret until the party. I don’t want to hurt her feelings.” He tries to look away again and I drop my hand and let him. Even though I could care less about Leila’s feelings I’m willing to say yes because Brandon looks so worried about her.

“Ok,” I say, “I won’t.”

 The worried look vanishes completely and a smile replaces his worried frown.

“Thanks,” he says, leaning down to kiss me. The late bell rings and I have to pull away. We smile at each other and Brandon turns and continues down the hall. I’m so excited I can barely contain myself. I can’t wait until the party.