Chapter 6

Leila

I’m sitting all alone looking out my window waiting for them to come back. The longer they stay out, the better the date, meaning the worse it’ll be for me when Lila gets back. I wish I’d picked up the phone. Then it would’ve been me out with Brandon, not her. She always does this. From the first day we met Brandon, she’s been stealing him away.  That day at the pool, I’d looked up from the snack bar and seen Brandon talking to Lila. But I’d also seen him before at CVS, we were both buying shampoo and he’d looked and smiled at me about five times before I left to check out. So it only made sense to want to actually talk to him when I saw him at the pool. For all I knew, he thought Lila was me. And that’s an understandable mistake I guess. But now, months after that day at the pool, I know he doesn’t make that mistake.  The thing is, I know if Lila would just lay off a little, Brandon would ask me out and we would be happily together now.  But no, she continues to say “yes” when Brandon asks her out and that just pisses me off.

My only reassurance that Brandon isn’t totally into her is the fact that just as they were leaving he looked back at me. I know he was wishing it was me and not her he was taking out. She probably tricked him into thinking it was me.

“Lei-lee!” my mom calls from downstairs, “Time for dinner!”

I groan. I hate that stupid nickname. My mom is so annoying sometimes. Why can’t she give me a cool nickname like Brandon? But then again if she did, it probably wouldn’t be as good as his. I head downstairs and find my mom and dad at the table eating.  They both look like they’ve just come out of college. When I was younger and used to go shopping with them, people would think we were brother and sisters. I like the fact that they don’t look old; it gives me hope for my future.

I sit down and start eating the beef stroganoff in front of me. It tastes pretty good. Well that’s a given, my mom is a chef at one of the most prestigious restaurants in New Hampshire. She loves to whip up her newest recipes for casual dinners. I’ve noticed she mostly does it when Lila is away. I think she’s secretly celebrating the fact that the best twin is staying home.  After a short prayer, we dig in. After a while, my dad tells a joke and we’re all laughing when Lila comes in.

“I’m back guys!” she shouts and heads upstairs. I instantly stop laughing because she sounds happy, meaning her date went well. Once again I feel disappointed because Brandon took her out and not me, I also know that Lila’s gonna rub it in. Not willing to hear about her date, I take my time eating and even wash all the dishes instead of using the dishwasher. Regardless, before long I’m finished all I can and I have to head upstairs. Still, I try my hardest to tiptoe past Lila’s clean room and into my messy room. On the way, I think of how annoying Lila is for always having such a clean room. She probably thinks that makes her the better daughter. But trust me, it doesn’t. They’ve already got a favorite and it’s me.

I push in my door and move a pile of clothes from the bed to the floor. Then I lie down and think of Brandon’s kiss from this afternoon. Once again my cheek flares up. I love that feeling. Suddenly, the door opens and there’s Lila flushed and glowing.

“What the hell are you doing in here?” I shout jumping up from my position on the bed. 

“Oh calm down Lei, it’s not like I’m using your stuff.” She gives me a huge grin.” Guess what happened!”

I glare at her and say I don’t care. She just smiles and moves a pile of clothes off a chair in the corner.

“Brandon kissed me!” She goes off in a daze as she thinks of Brandon’s lips on hers. Personally I think his lips shriveled up from touching the fungus that is my sister. But still she was the first to actually get kissed by Brandon. I’m fuming at the unfairness of the situation.

“Get out Lila!” I yell,” I don’t care how your stupid date went!”

Lila giggles and leaves my room. I’m sitting here and trying to think of ways to make Brandon kiss me. I fall asleep dreaming about the flames that will ignite when he does.