Chapter 8 - The Game

Daniel

This is bad.

Really bad.

That old man almost exposed me. I was trying my best to be discreet. I thought nobody would recognize me here, but somehow someone did. I was too careless.

The reason why he knew me was because I had a certain reputation in the field of brains back at London.

Our company, the Curtis Corporation was quite famous there for our prestige in the world of business, and I unintentionally earned some weird titles because of the activities I was forced to participate in.

I really didn't intend for it to blow out of proportion.

And aside from the business and brains aspect, my public image became even more known when the press found out that I was related to the rising star in the world of show biz.

Tsk. Rising star my butt. They don't know just how annoying that guy was.

But that's not all. Since people were obviously too damn bored with their lives, they decided to make up stories on their own and print articles about it. I never read the articles, but my best friend did.

Yes, I actually had a best friend.

I had two best friends.

And we were usually the hot topic in the weekly newspapers.

Ahh.

Just remembering my life back at London made me depressed. I wanted to get out of it. And I wasn't lying when I said I missed Poopy. I know I usually denied it when dad teases me but it's actually really true. I wanted to see her all these time. And I'm glad I got to meet her again.

Admitting this stuff to myself makes me sound like a marshmallow.

Poopy looked so confused earlier and I felt bad. I wanted to tell her, but it was still too soon. I wanted her to trust me before I told her the truth. The real reason why my dad and I came back wasn't only because of that dumb marriage arrangement. I didn't even know about that arrangement until we all met each other again.

After my new classmates concluded that they wouldn't get anything from me, they stopped asking about it and went out. I just hope no one gets bored enough to Google my name.

This is ridiculous. I should just stop thinking about useless stuff.

"Hey," someone's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked up to see Poopy standing in front of my desk, looking a bit stern. "Gym's about to start."

Gym? Oh right. We had a class like that.

"Okay?" I said, making it sound more like a question. I stared at her for a bit as she gave me the confused-unsure-doubtful look I can't really explain.

"You know..." she began as she hugged her arms against her chest. She looked a bit hesitant to say anything, but after what seemed like an internal debate, she glared at me, though I think she just used that expression as a cover-up for her confusion. "I really don't know anything about you."

Even though that was kind of true, somehow I felt like something stung my chest. Weird.

But wait. Did that mean she wanted to know more about me? Was she interested? But it can also have another meaning. Knowing Poopy, maybe she just said that because she was irritated with me holding her hand in front of our Physics teacher for such a stupid reason.