Chapter 1 - The Reunion

◦ Present ◦

Kristina

BAM!

"Tina!" my mom hollered from the kitchen. Her voice was so loud. "What was that noise?"

"Uh... a baby elephant fell from the ceiling!"

"What are you talking about? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I was just being creative," I mumbled to myself sarcastically.

I caressed my poor butt before standing up and staggering towards my dresser. Leave it to me to trip on my own feet because I woke up late. The elephant in my dream enjoyed my company a bit too much.

Romantic.

I could hear my mom shouting at me to hurry up from downstairs. Uhh...

"Almost finished!" I yelled from my room. I quickly tied my hair into a bun without bothering with a brush. You know, to add a little volume to it for fashion and stuff.

Kidding.

I was late and had no time to tidy it up. I know Ella, my best friend, was gonna fix it later anyway.

Glancing at my reflection on the mirror, the corner of my mouth twitched up – an attempt to smile. I heard starting the day with a smile can reduce stress and support good health.

Or so I heard from my chatty classmates. I bet they just made that up to get me smiling since I practically wore a frown to school everyday.

Smiling was exhausting, not gonna lie.

"Now what kind of rice sack are you wearing this time?" Mom looked at me from head to toe, disapproval forming on her face.

My mom, Elizabeth Karlins was a real estate agent. Was. I heard that shortly after I was born, she stopped taking requests from her clients and took the role of the housewife in this house. This lovely mother of mine also loved to criticize my choice of clothes every single day.

"I think maybe normal clothes?" I replied to her customary question.

I was wearing a pair of faded blue jeans, a plain white shirt and some comfortable sneakers. The size of my clothes concealed my body proportions but it didn't matter to me as long as I was comfortable enough to move in it.

I occasionally wore girly clothes too, but that actually depended on my mood or task for the day.

"I don't have time for this mom, I'm gonna be late for class."

I go to a private school in the city called Lockhart High. Not the most prestigious here in LA but it bears a good reputation for the education it offers.

We actually had official school uniforms but this week, we were allowed to wear casual clothes because of the upcoming festival.

Festivals were like a tradition in this school, and students usually prepared and hosted everything, whereas the teachers were just there if we needed help.

"Kristina honey, you're wasting your cute face on... on that?" She began, unable to find the words to describe my outfit. It wasn't that bad. "I bought you a lot more presentable clothes than that. How are you gonna get a boyfriend at this rate!"