Chapter 11 - The Kiss of Death

Daniel

The little bunny toy I was holding right now was so soft and weirdly squishy. I squeezed it again and again, thinking it'd explode tiny cotton balls everywhere, but the bunny was too strong.

"What the actual hell do you think you're doing here?!" She shouted before snatching the stuffed toy from my hands.

Ah, the bunny.

"I figured you'd do something like this, so I got ahead of you," I explained, standing up from the bed. I looked around the room, comparing how it used to look like last time I had been here. And that was twelve years ago.

The flowery patterns on her walls were gone, the scary dolls with human faces were replaced by stuffed animals and the color of her room went from pink to plain beige. Yet it was so tidy, as usual.

And yeah, I actually remembered everything, thanks to my selective photographic memory. "Your room changed."

"Get out!!!" she stomped her feet and glared at me with all her might. I knew she'd get mad. But I just couldn't help myself. I strangely found her getting angry at me quite entertaining. Plus, I never saw her room since I got back.

"Jeez you're so loud," I pulled my left ear. How many decibels did that contain hm?

"GET OUT I SAY!!!"

She was damaging my ears.

I stubbornly lied down on her bed with the most relaxed and comfortable position I could come up with and rebelliously folded my arms. "No."

From the corner of my eyes, I could see her face flaming with anger, her fists clenched into tight balls until her knuckles turned white and she was even biting the insides of her mouth so hard I thought it was going to bleed.

Whoa. She was that mad?

I prepared myself for another ear-piercing yell or a sudden attack from this amazon woman. I think I lived a good life.

When I looked at her again, she was breathing heavily, her eyes were shut tight but the light lines on her forehead got visible. So she was trying to hold it all in huh? I hope she doesn't explode like she usually did. Did she always have this short a temper? Or was I the only one with such talent to annoy her to her death?

I'm giving myself too much credit.

"Fine," she released an exasperated sigh through gritted teeth.

I watched as she walked around her room, picking up some things on the floor, her back against me the whole time. She opened her closet and randomly took out some clothes. After that, she headed towards the door.

"Where are you going?"

"Bathroom. To change."

Even though she didn't make eye-contact with me, I'm pretty sure I saw her eye twitch.

Maybe it was because she saw me playing with the rest of her stuffed animals. They were tiny and squishy and they'd make perfectly good stress balls.

"Why don't you just change here?" I innocently suggested, sitting up again.

"Are you crazy?!" she exclaimed, and then she took a deep breath to calm herself. "N-No. You can lie down there and do whatever you want. Just don't touch anything, understood?"

She's gotten better calming herself down. And that makes me so proud.

I'd gladly take credit for that.