Chapter 12 - Annoying New Student #2

Daniel

"You sure you want to go in today?" Dad asked as he leaned against my doorframe, watching me as I fixed my tie in front of the mirror. When I concluded that it was presentable, I grabbed my bag and made my way out my room until he stopped me.

He frowned, looking like he was debating whether or not to send me to school. "Is your stomach okay now? Do you want me to give you a ride?"

I chuckled shortly before politely declining his offer. "I'm fine dad. Her cooking wasn't that lethal."

He didn't look convinced in the slightest.

I gave him a wide smile for reassurance. "I'm fine. See? I'm smiling."

"Which makes me all the more worried," he sighed. "Goodness, look what that girl's done to you."

I snorted.

I was expecting some more words of worry or advice, but instead, he sent me a warm smile as he held both my shoulders. "Well, whatever it is, I'm glad. You're practically glowing every day now, and I'm sure it's because of her. It has always been her."

I didn't reply. I just nodded. Stiffly.

His grin grew wider and I was sensing another annoying tease-attack. He roughly messed up my hair while making cooing sounds. I groaned and tried avoiding his hands but he was persistent. "Dad!"

The last time I saw him this excited was when he paid off his loan in the bank ten years ago.

When I finally broke free, I made a sprint for the door. Before I left the house, I hollered at my old man at a safe distance. "See you later dad!"

┅┅┅┅┅┅┅༻❁༺┅┅┅┅┅┅┅

I parked my car in front of the black gates of her house. Glancing at my reflection on the side-mirror, I fixed the rebellious strands of hair going off in weird directions.

I usually didn't care how my hair looked since it looked fine messy, but today was a huge exception. It looked like something exploded in it due to dad's golden touch.

It looked horrible. I looked horrible. I can't get out of my car and meet her looking like--

What the hell. Am I getting self-conscious of my looks now? Ridiculous. I'm Daniel Curtis.

I don't give a poop about how I look.

With a renewed confidence, I got out of my car, ignoring my current hairstyle and headed to her front door. I'm sure she won't notice anyway. She doesn't even look at me that much unless it's to clobber me. She won't notice.

Maybe she liked it messy tho--

Shut up.

The door was opened before I even got to ring the bell. Standing before me was a beaming Aunt Lizzy, and a weary looking Poopy beside her. I swallowed hard all of a sudden.

Why was I getting all nervous? This was just another ordinary day picking her up for school.

"Hi Danny!" her mom chirped. Almost too enthusiastically. "Are you alright now? Is your stomach fine? I'm so sorry about last night. I'll teach Tina some good meals so she can cook you something better next time!"

I could see how her daughter flinched at the mere suggestion. I normally would've smirked to tease her again, yet I found myself smiling awkwardly while running a hand on my hair, blindly attempting to fix whatever was wrong with it.

"I'm looking forward to it."

"Great!" Aunt Lizzy clapped. "Well, it's best you two get going now. Bye hon," she kissed Poopy's forehead and gently pushed her towards me. "Have fun at school!"