Prologue

◦ Twelve years ago ◦

Daniel

"So boring," I mumbled under my breath as I dropped my dad's books on the floor. I've read them about a hundred times already and I'm pretty sure I've already memorized every word in each of them. This is so boring.

I want to go to her place and play already.

"Daniel?" My dad entered the room and gave me a worried look when he saw his books on the floor. He picked them up and examined the covers, sighing at them before looking back at me. "What are you doing here in my study again? And why are my books on the floor?"

I didn't reply. I just stared at him and narrowed my eyes. I really don't like talking.

Dad cracked a small smile after returning the books to their rightful shelves. "Algebra, Physics, English Literature. Danny, you're reading difficult books again. Do you even understand what you're reading? You're only six and yet..."

He stopped talking like he just realized something and chuckled a bit before ruffling my hair. Geez. I know I'm only six but he doesn't have to keep treating me like a kid.

We both live alone because he said mom went far away. I asked him a couple of times where she went but he would just look at me sadly. I wonder why.

Dad grabbed me by the armpits and gently put me on his right shoulder. "Alright then big boy, wanna go to your Aunt Lizzy and Uncle Jacob's place?"

I could feel my stoic expression disappearing and a smile forming on my face. Aunt Lizzy and Uncle Jacob... Those two were my dad's old best friends and I call them Aunt and Uncle 'cause of that. Dad was the CEO of a big company and he always dropped me off at their house because he was busy working and I had no nearby relatives to care for me. Aunt Lizzy and Uncle Jacob always welcomed me and being there made me happy.

But they're not the reason why I'm so excited to go to their place.

I gripped on my dad's shirt and slowly nodded my head. I can't say it aloud - it's embarrassing.

He understood what I meant and laughed cheerfully as usual. I hate it when Dad teases me. He carried me towards the car and then we drove to Uncle and Aunt's house. It was just a few blocks from here.

(^_^)

"Hey Johnny!" Aunt Lizzy greeted us with a big smile. She let the door open before pinching my cheeks so hard. Ow. "Hello there little genius! Wanna play with Kristina today too?"

Hearing her name, I gripped my dad's hand tight and quietly nodded. Why can't I just say yes like a normal kid? I know my mind works differently from other kids my age and I'm proud of that. But whenever I go to this place, I'm just a six year-old boy again. And I'm also proud of that.

I don't know why, but my lame reaction to her question made Aunt Lizzy giggle so much. I read a lot of books about grown-ups, but I never fully understood them. They're weird.

"Peanut Butter!" A high-pitched voice caught the attention of everybody. Something annoying punched my chest. I saw her smiling and waving her small hands excitedly at me as Uncle Jacob carried her towards us. As soon as he let her down, she ran towards me and took my hand. "Did you come to play with me?"