Chapter 9

Murphy and I help Connor hobble up the stairs of the Boston Police Station, his arms over our shoulders. I'm no longer in just a t-shirt and panties since one of the nurses gave me a pair of scrub pants. That would've been a very uncomfortable walk.

We all look like we just came out of a damn horror film too. We've been getting some very curious glances from people walking by and ignored them as best as we could.

We open the door and can hear a man talking as we walk inside. Everyone is sitting around their desks listening to him babble.

"These guys are miles away by now. But if you wanna' beat your head against the wall here's what you do. These guys are like three little bunny rabbits. Anything in a uniform or flashing blue lights is gonna' spook em'. The only thing we can do is put a potato on a string and drag it through south Boston and say thanks for comin' out." The man says and all the other cops chuckle. One guy is looking right at us and has been since we walked into the room.

"You'd probably have better luck with beer." Murphy says chuckling and all their heads whip in our direction.

"Ya' would." Connor and I say simultaneously. The man that was looking at us talks to the man that was rambling.

"Hey, Greenly. Onion bagel, cream cheese." He smiles.

"Fuck." Greenly mutters, putting his head in his hands. Looks like he made an ass of himself.

*

In the interrogation room, I'm sitting beside Connor and Agent Smecker sits on the other side of the table. Connor is eating a doughnut, along with Murphy. I'm too nervous too eat anything and the both of them notice but don't say anything or they know I'll bite their heads off. I've almost got my nails bitten down so far that they'll bleed if I bite them anymore. 

I don't like the thought of being interrogated. Even if we truly are innocent in the matter at hand.

I about jump out of my skin when Smecker starts talking.

"This conversation is going to be recorded. Just answer the questions to the best of your knowledge." Smecker says, but before he can push the button Murphy stops him.

"Hang on a moment, sir." He says and Murphy turns to Connor and I and starts speaking in Italian.

"What do we tell him about the money and the guns?" Murphy asks us.

"We just got up and left." I say in Italian.

"Bum probably rolled up and took em'." Connor explains and we all nod in agreement. Murph turns back to Smecker and tells him we're ready.

"You all are not under oath here. Just answer the questions." Smecker says and hands us all a cigarette which I take gratefully. I lite mine right away, deeply inhaling it's contents as soon as it hits my lips. 

It helps ease some of the tension, but not all of it.

I sit quietly as my husbands tell them about our wild night and morning. I'm glad because I don't feel like talking much. I feel that if we do much more my head will explode. I'm going to need a drink after all of this shit and a long ass nap.

Smecker hits the button on the recorder when we finally finish and lights up a cigarette of his own.

"How is it that you guys are fluent in Russian?" Smecker asks the boys.

"We paid attention in school. Our lovely wife here can also speak it." Connor states proudly and sends me a wink. Of course I blush, not wanting any attention on myself.

"Wife?!" Smecker asks wide eyed and they nod. "You're married to the both of them?" He asks looking at me baffled.

"Technically just Murphy by paper, but that doesn't mean shit. My heart and soul belong to the both of them." I tell him honestly and smile.