44. From Zero to One Hundred

Rin sat in the nursery late that night, gently rocking back and forth with Ai and Renji in his arms.

Renji. That's what they had decided to name their son.

He didn't understand what was happening, but things were a bit better than they were before. He had both of his children back and that was more than what he could ask for, but everything else was going to complete shit.

Shima had lied to Yukio and that was the breaking point for the younger twin. He moved out the same day that Shima was arrested and refused to visit him. However, Bon had taken it upon himself to get the best lawyers for Shima.

No one had honestly believed that Shima murdered Shiratori.

How could someone like him have done so much damage this entire time? Sure, his history proved that other murders in the area may have been done by him, but had he killed Reiji? Most certainly not.

At least Rin and the others hoped so.

"Baby, why are you still up? Get some rest, please?"

Bon came into the nursery with tired eyes and Rin looked back at him with his own tired orbs.

"I'm scared that if I leave them then they won't be here when I wake up..." Rin admitted quietly, still rocking the babies in his arms. Bon kneeled down, gently coaxing the children out of Rin's grip and laying them in their shared crib. Rin's hands were shaking noticeably and his fiance gently took them in his own larger ones, bringing them to his lips to kiss them.

"How about we bring them into our room and they can sleep with us, huh?"

Rin gave him a stale nod and allowed himself to be pulled up from the rocking chair. He let his feet lead him into his bedroom and leaving his fiance to wheel the crib in behind him. He crawled into bed and soon enough Bon crawled in with him.

"So I'm pretty sure we both failed this semester."

Rin let out a dry laugh. He hadn't thought about school at all since all of this happened. He was positive that he had failed although Bon didn't seem to worry. He claimed his finances were more than sufficient enough to support their family. Football was merely a hobby for him. If he was gonna get drafted anytime soon, it would have happened already. He would rather stay home with his family, protecting and caring for his children and for Rin.

"What do you think about moving, Ryu? Away from here, I mean."

It was silent for a few moments and Rin turned to face his fiance. The expression on Bon's face was unreadable. Was the thought of leaving honestly that conflicting?

"Ryuji..."

Bon exhaled loudly through his nose and sat up in the bed.

"All of the people we love are here."

"Like who? Yukio's bound to go where I go and Shima...baby, Shima isn't getting out anytime soon."

Bon's nostrils flared in anger and Rin scooted back a bit when Bon's fist twitched at him.

"What, are you gonna tell me that you honestly fucking think that he did it?"

"He confessed, Bon! I don't know what else to believe!"

Bon got out of bed and started to dress himself angrily. "Where are you going?" Rin asked. Bon continued to dress, grabbing his keys and his cell phone.

"When you stop being a complete bitch then I'll come home."

Rin was far beyond taken back. Bon had never spoken to him in such a way. In fact, this couldn't have been the same man he was going to marry.

"Ryuji--"

"I'm fucking tired. Tired of your fucking mouth. Tired of listening to the irritating sound of your voice and your constant fucking bitching and griping. Tired of your excessive complaining about how NOTHING is good enough for you."

Bon moved for the door and Rin jumped out of the bed, grabbing Bon's arm. He wanted to tell him that nothing he said was true. He wanted to tell him that he was tired, too. He was tired of crying and worrying all of the time and that it would be better if they got a new start in life.

He didn't want for Ryuji to leave him.

"Let go."

"Ryuji--"

"Let. Go!"

Bon's fist embedded itself into the wall next to Rin's head and Rin let go, cowering beneath Bon's glare as he balled up against the wall. Bon paused for a second, brought out of his thoughts only when the babies began to cry out, startled at the loud noise their father made.

"Please don't leave me, please, I'm sorry." Rin pleaded, kneeling at Bon's feet apologetically. It was silent once again until Bon shuffled away from him.

"I'll be back to see my kids tomorrow."

He walked out of the door and Rin stayed on the floor, tears welling up in his eyes and the twins crying louder at the absence of their father. He pulled himself to his feet, forcing himself to clean his face. His face was red and his throat stung from holding back tears, but he didn't want his children to see him in distress.

He went to them, picking them both up to cradle them in his arms and calm them.

"Daddy is coming back, don't worry. Papa has you until then. Shhhh, hush now."

And once again, in the blink of an eye, Rin's life converted back into pure shit.

#

Shima was entirely too comfortable on his prison bunk. It made him a little uneasy, but it didn't bother him as much as he thought it would. He didn't feel any guilt or shame at all because now he could breath easy knowing that Yukio would be safe.

Taking the fall for Yukio was worth making sure his lover would never have to spend the night in here.

Of course, he had a record that made it easy for him to turn himself in. No one had suspected Yukio in the beginning but Reiji's murder was done in rage and therefore it hadn't been covered well. Forensics would soon find traces of Yukio there, Shima knew that when Yukio came crying to him about how he had murdered Shiratori.

The only way to make sure Yukio walked free? Take the fall.

"Is that who I think it is?"

The smooth voice pulled Shima out of his thoughts and pulled his attention towards the cell door.

A blonde stood in the door, leaning against the frame with quite the blank expression. Shima immediately recognized this face, smirking as he sat up from his bunk.

"So the cops finally got their hands on you...Azreal."