15. Lucky Stars

Kuro swallowed hard, anxiously approaching the car that was parked in the trees. To anyone else it might seem normal; people's cars often broke down on the side roads.

What caught Kuro's attention was the blood on the windows.

Somebody might be dying in there. He couldn't just leave them!

"H-Hello? Anyone there?" He called. He didn't receive an answer and the blood covered so much of the window that he couldn't see through it. "Damn. I'm gonna have to open to door." He said to himself, warily reaching for the handle. He pulled it open quickly and screamed when a body came toppling into the grass, bloody and limp.

"AH! OH MY SWEET BABY JESUS!"

He stared down at the body for a moment, horrified enough when he realized that he knew who it was. "Wait a sec! I delivered to your house one time. I didn't even make you pay for it because I thought you were so pretty." Kuro said, letting his words fall upon deaf ears. He pulled out his cell phone immediately.

"Police? I need help! There's a body out here and I don't know what to do! Is she breathing? I don't know! Huh? The Devil County highway. Yes sir. I'll stay until you arrive, sir."

#

Rin's eyes stung when they were flooded with light and he snapped them shut. He felt numb...like he could throw himself from the highest cliff and not feel a thing.

"You're awake. Are you feeling alright?"

Rin turned his head and saw a tall brunette man sitting in a chair across from him. The man had fairly handsome features and the badge he was wearing along his belt stuck out like a sore thumb.

"Who are you...? Where am I...?"

"Devil County Infirmary. I'm detective Night."

Rin's eyes widened when he remembered what happened. He shot up, grabbing at his stomach. "M-My baby! I-Is it...?" He trailed off, feeling tears sting at the corner of his eyes. Detective Night sighed.

"Whoever forced themselves on you did major damage. Only one of the babies survived. They did everything that they could but it was too late."

Rin paused, turning to look at Detective Night as tears fell.

"Babies? There was...more than one?"

"Twins. I'm so sorry."

"I didn't...I mean I..."

Rin broke down into tears and the detective stood up, awkwardly patting Rin on the back. "I'm sorry. But...there are some questions that I need to ask." He said. Rin nodded through his sobs, calming his breathing and wiping his tears. "Okay. Go ahead." He sniffed.

"Well...the doctors figured out how you were able to get pregnant and I'm sure you already know. However, I want to know what you were doing out there. When that kid found you, you were already near death."

Rin explained how Shiratori had broken into his home and taken him away. Then he explained how he nearly bled to death in the back of that stolen car. Detective Night grimaced as the story was told, feeling terrible that Rin had to withstand something like that and to had lost one of his children.

"That's...awful. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that."

Rin nodded, rubbing his stomach subconsciously.

"My...other baby. It's okay, right?"

The detective nodded and Rin wiped more tears from his face. "Thank you." He said. There was a knock on the door and a black head of hair peeked in.