✿ drunk ✿

can i just say, imagine waking up to this smexy cheese.

p.s. shoutout to @-chanel for the amazing cover! tysm <3

TWENTY

Avaline.

God, even her name was pretty.

My heart ached at the look on Heath's face, my stomach twisting with an odd feeling, and I had the sudden urge to reach out to pull him into a hug, if it would take that goddamn vulnerable look off his face.

His head was tilted back against the headrest of the chair, his dark eyelashes sweeping the top of his cheeks as he briefly shut his eyes, and I chewed the inside of my cheek as I watched him.

"What happened to her?" I asked hesitantly, my hands curling into themselves on my lap, my eyes roving his face for a reaction.

He opened his eyes, his head still tilted back to face the ceiling, drawing out a low breath, and my eyes drifted down to trail over the muscles of his tense shoulders, and the stretch of the muscles in his neck. He had a jawline that could cut glass, and my fingers itched to reach to run themselves over his sharp features.

"She left," he said lowly, eyes unblinking as he stared at the ceiling, "because I wouldn't mark her." His eyes flickered down towards me. "Because she wasn't my mate."

My heart skipped a beat at that, before it started racing quickly in my chest, and my stomach twisted with a sick feeling.

"Did...did you want her to be?" I swallowed, forcing myself to sound indifferent, but my heart was ramming against my ribcage, and my blood pounded in my ears.

I could feel his eyes on me, burning into me like a brand, but I couldn't bring myself to look him in the eyes. I went as high as his lips.

"I did," he answered, and all the breath in my lungs left me. My eyes flickered up to meet his in surprise, feeling like my heart had stopped working.

"But it is different now," he continued on, saying it slowly, the gold flecks in his eyes flickering like the dying embers of a flame. His long fingers wrapped around my wrist, lifting it to his lips, palm first, before he pressed a barely-there kiss to the middle of my palm. Tingles erupted from the small contact, and my breath stalled in my chest.

"It's been three years since Avaline's left," he said, dragging his gaze away from me to trail over my outstretched fingers, his hand sliding down from my wrist to envelop my hand in his. His eyes flickered to meet mine. "And it took three years, and an annoying, aggravating and irritatingly cute bitch who constantly pisses me the fuck off, for me to realise it was a fucking good thing she left."

My breath caught in my throat as a slow heat spread from the warmth in my chest to the rest of my body, leaving a tingly sensation in its wake.

I was irritatingly cute?

And an annoying bitch?

"Thank you?" I said, flushing slightly, still trying to recover from his out of the blue, mildly insulting yet equal parts flattering confession.