And they're off...

Katherine leaves. What did she mean by that? That she was lying the whole time to me. What could she possibly be lying about? She's my best friend I'm not going to let her feel horrible over nothing.

I hear a knock on the washroom door. I don't move because I am pondering so many things right now. The door creaks open on its own and I see Elmer standing there, he looks at me and leans against the door way. "Well... Someone is looking rather fancy."

I giggle and do a little 'curt-tis'  for him. Elmer stands up straight and then does a bow. He's hat falls off of his head and he quickly picks it up and stands up like he usually does. We both laugh for a couple of seconds and then he asks if he could use the washroom. I of course said yes and I leave and head over to my bunk.

Specs is the first to see me. He adjust his glasses and then speaks up. "Well excuse miss but have you seen a girl named Stray around." He says jokingly. Specs gets down on one knee and takes my hand and he kisses it. I go along with his little game, "Fine sir, I do not know of a lady of that sorts." I say trying be as proper as possible.

He gets off his knee and jumps up and give me and side hug and then runs off to talk to some of the guys.

"Stray....you look amazing. And your hair. It's..." A voice says then drifts off. I turn around and see Buttons. He is smiling like a little kid.

"Thanks Buttons." I say. He awkwardly waves and then walks off the same way Specs did.

On my bed is the letter that Jack got from Crutchie. Jack wanted me to see it, but I don't know if I really want to. I have not opened it yet, can you blame me. This is my love's letter from the hell house. I remember exactly what I wrote on mine,when Synder and my father sent me to the Refuge.

Hiya Jack. Are you okay?
If you haven't guessed this is Stray. It's hard living here day to day. But if you can make it, I'll be okay.

Everything here. Everything's gone. They won't even let you sing songs.

Your story is still fresh, likes its new. they can't believe what a simple carriage can do. Victor said that he was here you got out and he told me that's was hope is all about.

Starving a little. I'll be good. Just the way things should. You just stay there can keep Crutchie calm of you could.

Keep him safe. Keep things calm. Jack I need you to be strong. If the Guys get mad you tell them what I said.

Goodbye
For now.
I'll get out of here somehow.

Denise, Not that no way.
So this is goodbye from me, Stray.

Now I was trying to be kind with things. Who knows what Crutchie would say. I sit down on the bed and pick up the letter. It wasn't for me to see, the letter was to Jack not me. Crutchie couldn't have known that I too would be reading it at one point.

I flip open the top of the paper and the bottom flap falls down and I see his sloppy hand writing written all over the page.

Dear Jack,
How are you? I'm okay
Guess I wasn't much help yesterday
Snyder soaked me real good with my crutch, Oh yeah, Jack? This is Crutchie by the way. These here guards, they is rude. They say 'jump boy, you jump or your screwed!'But the food ain't so bad least so far, Cause so far, they ain't brung us no food!
Ha, ha
I miss the rooftop. Sleeping right out in the open! In your penthouse in the sky!There's a cool breez blowin' even in July! Any way, so guess what! There's this secret escape plan I've got! Tie a sheet to bed, toss the end out the window climb down and take off like a shot! Maybe though, not tonight I ain't slept yet, and my leg still ain't right!

But hey, Pulitzer! He's goin' down! Then Jack, I was thinking we might just go, like you was sayin'Where it's clean and green and pretty! With no buildings in your way And your riding Palominos, every day!
Damn this place.

Stray's a tough girl, but I know her. She'll be said and hurt all over. So help me out and keep her safe. I love her and I don't want her in any pain. She'll be mad, that's I'm sure. So keep Stray strong and keep her, well her. I will be back, one day, because well I in love with that Stray.

I'll be fine. Good as new. But there's one thing I need ya to do.On the rooftop you told me a fam'ly looks out for each other. So tell all the fellas from me, to protect one another!

The end,
Your friend,
You best friend,
Your brother,
Crutchie.

Oh my god.....He's dreaming about Santa Fe. He has a plan to leave my he wants Pulitzer to lose just as much as any of us do. And he wants me safe. And here I am getting ready to go and put it all out on the line for the strike.

I never thought that Crutchie would have wanted to keep me safe. He knows me I'll give him that. He knows that I want to fight for what I believe in.

I just know realize I have been burying my feelings with fighting in the Strike. The pure honesty is that I miss Crutchie, I miss him with my whole heart.  Sure I stayed in bed for days after the fight at the Not just because of my ankle, but that I knew that when I get up that Crutchie isn't going to be there to make me feel better. To smile his beautiful smile to cheer me up.  Or to even simply kiss me on the cheek. I miss those little things. Hell, I miss him. I miss every little thing about him.

I am suddenly hit with the same thought that I gave to Jack yesterday. He was depressed too and I told him. "I love Crutchie....So tell me how quitting does him any good?"

"Stray.. We's should be heading down to da theater now." Race calls over to me. I lift my head up and give him a nod. "I'll be right there." I say and he replys by tipping his hat and leading the guys out the door. I guess I'll meet them on the street.

I fold up the letter from the refuge and place it on the pillow of my bunk. I stand up and straighten out my newly borrowed skirt. I scurry off, because we have to win this fight. I'm not going to let all this work be for nothing.

I open the door and the guys are standing there waiting for me. Race holds out his elbow to escort me to Irving Hall. I loop my arm around his and let out a light hearty chuckle.

The Newsies of Manhatten are on their way to the big finish of the Newboys Strike of 1899.