Dinner with Jacobs: Part 2

Davey opens the door and I see a beautiful middle aged woman who must be their mom putting a big bowl of mashed potatoes on the table in the middle of the room. She looks up and sees me. Her eyes light up. She has the same colored eyes as Davey, but not Les.

"You must be Stray." She says extending her hand. I shake it and she smiles. "The boys have told us so much about you and Crutchie and Jack and all those newsies."

I step into the apartment. "Well you have raised two great boys Mrs. Jacobs." She smiles at the compliment.

A man with dark hair and a mustache walks into my view. He has his right arm wrapped up in a cloth. It is obviously broken. He looks at me indifferently. "David who's your friend?"

Mrs. Jacobs slaps him with rag that was tied to her apron. "It's Stray. You know their friend...newsie...the girl...God Frank Les talks about her nonstop." I laugh at that last part and then cover my mouth once I realized what I did. Mr. Jacob laughs at my action.

"I was only kidding dear." He says to his wife then he turns to me. "Nice to meet you Stray." He puts out his hand that not broken and I shake it to the best of the odd situation.

"I'd wondered when I would meet one of Davey's co-workers." Mr. Jacob says.

"Well sir. We have been rather busy at the New York World lately." I say trying to be as mannerly as possible. I hint at the Strike and I look over to Davey he smiles.

Mr. Jacob sighs and hangs his head down. "I wouldn't have had to put the boys out there if the factory didn't lay me off." So that's what Jack was talking about earlier at the paper stand.

"Well if it makes any difference if it weren't for that, I wouldn't have been able to get to know David or Les. They are really great. Never had friends like them. You raised them right." I say trying to stand up as straight as I can. I didn't want to insult him, but I didn't want him to think he did the wrong thing. I mean Davey is the Brains behind the strike.

Les runs to beside his father and Mr. Jacob ruffles his youngest son's hair and smiles. He looks at me and smiles too.

Mrs. Jacob walks out of the kitchen, which I can see from where I am standing, and puts down a bowl of ,from what can see, green beans. She takes off her apron and places it on a hook hanging on the wall. "Dinner is ready. "

We sit around the table. I only takes me four steps to get to a seat. I sit in a seat that obliviously didn't come with the dinning set. The order is Mrs and Mr. Jacob. Les. Me. And then Davey.

Davey fills my plate with vegetables and other sides that I haven't had in years. He hands it to me and I smile. I try not to shove it down my throat. I don't want the Jacobs to think I am a slob. But every piece of food I put in my mouth tastes delicious. Nothing like the scraps I have grown used to. Les was right when he said that its makes your tongue tingle.

"Stray....How long have you been selling newspapers?" Mrs. Jacobs asks trying to make small talk.

I take in a breath and think about it. "For..a little more than year now." I think nothing of it, but everyone else at the table has a different reaction to the news. Les is in awe. Mr. Jacob is impressed. Mrs. Jacob is uncertain. And Davey is shocked.

I look at all of them and the look at my plate and push my food around with my fork awkwardly.

(A/N: ^That line describes my life.)

Mr. Jacob coughs to break the silence and looks over to me. "So? A year? Your parents and folks must be proud." He says trying to be nice. But I don't reply. What are you supposed to say to that? I want to be nice, but that can not to be that simple to tell him.

I look over at Davey. He gives me a sympathetic face. He then quietly says, "Most newsies are orphans." Davey says it under his breath. But his parents hear him and they look at me sadly.

Les doesn't get it. He knows so little and that's a good thing. His vocabulary isn't that big. But their parents do understand.  They both give me looks that say 'You poor child.'

I just remember what Crutchie said and I tell them.  "I don't need Folks. I got Family." I say this and put my hand on Davey and Les' shoulders. Mr and Mrs. Jacobs faces grow proud.

Mrs. Jacobs smiles at me and says. "Well I know I am glad that my boys are friends with a person like you."