Bed Riddened

Specs pokes my side. I turn over in my bed. Laying face down in my bed avoiding everything. I hear another set of footsteps come closer. "Stray. You gotta get up." Elmer says very calming in a soft voice. Instead of being polite and answering him, I stuff my only pillow into my face.

Another set of shoes come tapping across the old wooden floors of the lounging house. "It's been three days...please just say something." A sympathetic Kid Blink says. He's right. I haven't said anything in three days. Zip. Nadda. Nothing.

How? Why? Why did that happen? I mean all of us got bruised and beaten to a pulp, but taken. Taken to the hell house. And we can't call on Brooklyn, because Spot Conlon does not have a history or any type of relation to Crutchie. And we are begging them to help us with the Strike. They will never help. Our only hope is to win the strike.

Specs squats down to my bedside. He gently taps my shoulders. "Can I at least check your foot?" It should probably be checked. It's hurts like the dickens.

Oh yeah did I forget to mention that I broke my foot from kicking the Morris and Oscar Delancey and running away from Synder.

I don't turn over to face him. I lift my right arm up and give him a thumbs up.

The shuffle of footsteps are heard. Now I definitely know that there is a lot of the guys crowded around my bed. And I'm not even saying anything to them, yet they stay. Damn I'm a jerk. 

I feel my blanket being pulled up. "Jesus!" I know as soon as it's said that it is Race. My foot can't look good. If it looks as bad as it feels, it is probably horrible.

I slap is heard. And then Race speaks up again. "I mean....yay." His voice cracked when he say 'yay.' I grunt into my pillow. Stupid.

So far that has been my communication, a series of grunts and sighs. And that's it. They still haven't heard a word come out of my mouth.

"Oh Stray...it's not that bad...It will heal." Buttons says. Lies. It probably looks like a rotten plum.

I hear the door creak open.  Specs flings the blanket back on my foot. Thanks. I don't want anyone to see it. Two pair of feet are stepping up. "How is she?" A squeaky little voice says. Oh no no no no. I don't want Les to see me like this.

Davey speaks up next. "She's still not talking." Davey visited me yesterday. Been the same. Except I was laying on my side with my hands holing a pillow to cover to my face. But still you get my point.

The sound of feet move a few steps. I can only guess it's he is walking towards Davey. Mush's voice is heard. "Yup she's just been sitting dar."

Davey speaks up again. "The foot?" I move my feet and you can see it through the movement through the blanket. He acts like he wants to see it, please no.

Race talks with his cigar in his mouth. I'm just a that good that could I can tell. "I'm takin' dat as a no." I shake my foot up and down.

Davey just moves towards the bed and throws the blanket off my legs. I feel a cool breeze on my feet and shiver just a little. "Sorry." He mumbles. I feel a touch  on the hurt foot. I shutter and pull it away.

"Stray...it's fine. Should heal in a day...or two." Davey says very calmly and puts the blanket back in my legs.

Les runs up and grabs my hand that is dangling off my bed. "Come on.....get up....please. I know you weren't married to Crutchie, but he was important to you and he wouldn't want you to be logging around." He just holds onto my hand. I lift my head and turn to Les so he can see my face.

Les smiles, but I notice something horrible. There is a bandage around his arm. Even being broken he is smiling that cute little smile that I first meet him with.

I look over at Davey shocked. How did that even happen? He shrugs his shoulders like he knew actually what I was thinking.

I guess he wanted t change the subject. Davey opens his mouth to speak. "So is Jack still missing?" He says looking around at the guys. They look like they are going to kill him.

They didn't tell me that. I jump up off the bed and fall. "WHAT?!?!" I scream.

Buttons and Elmer run over to me and put me on their shoulders. "You lied to me! You guys said you knew where Jack was. You all lied to me!" I freak out trying to let the guys let go of me. They don't. The two boys stand me up and straight.

"We didn't lie. We's just didn't tell ya everything." Race says stuffing his hands into his pockets.

Specs runs up to me. "We didn't want you to freak out....Everything that's happens we didn't think you could take it."

"You're right I'm freaking out. Because my Crutchie is taken by Synder the Spider and Jack has gone missing. My love and my brother are gone. But you had no right to keep that hidden from me." I breathe in and out and Buttons pulls my hair from out of my face.

I meekly, quickly, and quietly say, "Where's Katherine?" I can't lose her too.

Kid Blink moves around on his feet. "She ..uh...came while you were asleep."

"I missed her." I say as normal as I can. I sigh.

Specs looks over at me and says, "She wants you to get better." He looks around to everyone. "....And meet her at her work."

I look over across the room. I snap my finger over to Les. "Aye Les get me that could ya?" He smiles and runs over to get the exact object that I needed.

Les runs back to me and hands it to me. I move Crutchie's old crutch under my arm, so they guys don't have to hold me up.

Everyone is looking at me strange. I let go off Elmer and Buttons and stand up in my own. Well with the help of the crutch.

"Someone wrap up my foot. I have a friend to visit."

*********************************************************************************************************************
A/N: Love reading what you have to say, so please comment.