Go and look it up

The Jacobs brothers, Katherine, and me have gone to find Jack. We all decided that he couldn't have gotten far. They don't know about Santa Fe like I do. That is where Jack has always wanted to be. But no way he has the funds to go all the way to New Mexico. And I know him, he would never just leave without a proper goodbye.

We have searched the city. There is no stones that we left un-turn. Me and Davey are leading the way. Katherine is holding onto Les' hand so he doesn't runaway or anything of that nature. Cause lets face it. The kid wants to see Jack. He really does. Well, we all do; but him mostly. See from what I can tell Les sees Jack like he is a fictional character, because Jack is what Les what's to be when he grows up. Not that Davey isn't a great guy. Davey is just a lot safer than Jack. You know what I mean.

"Denise..." Davey mumbles. I forgot I have him permission to call me by my real name. And I wasn't scared when he said it either. Well it doesn't sound as horrible coming from his mouth then it does out of my father's.

"Yeah...David." I say with a light chuckle and grin on my face. He lets out a little smile too. None of the guys call him David. Even little Les has started to call him Davey.

"You seemed jumpy when the guys mention the Delancey brothers?" Davey asks and his voice has genuine sympathy.

"Dave.... Please..." I mutter pulling my paperboy hat off my head and clutching it with streets balled up in my hands. "What?" He puts his hand on my shoulder stopping me. So that make Katherine and Les catch up to us and stop wonder why. Katherine confusedly asked. "What's going on?"

Davey looks me in the eyes. "What did the Delanceys do?"

All of a sudden I got a faint burst of confident. I slam my hat on the ground and snap at Davey. "Why do care? Huh?" I can tell my his face that he wasn't excepting that. Katherine steps a few inches closer to me. "Stray you are obviously up set. We are just here to help you. We are your friends."

I look around at them. Davey is raising his eyebrows excepting an answer to come flying out of my mouth. Katherine looks more sad. She is worried for me, I can tell.

"For crying out loud." I mumble as I pull Les towards me, so he is now in front of me. I cover his ear with my hands. I didn't want the little innocent kid hearing this.

"Oscar Delancey kissed me." Damn I feel disgusting even just saying that. And I actually went through it.

I let out of Les as soon as I stop talking. All that was for nothing though, because Davey blurts out, "Oscar Delancey kisses you!"

Les' eyes grow wide and be pops around and faces  me. "Oscar Delancey kissed you!" Les says mimicking his older brother.

I sigh and roll my eyes. "I covered his ears for a reason Davey!" Pick up my hat from the ground from when I threw it there out of spite. He mumbles out a "sorry." He didn't mean it though.

Katherine puts her hand on my shoulder and gives me puppy dog eyes. "What exactly happened?"

I take a deep breath in and out. I obviously look in distress. Katherine pats my shoulder and I look over towards her. "Take your time," she says softly.

"I was heading towards the Deli with the pape in my head. I see the Delanceys and freeze in my spot out of fear. Could ya blame me? They are scary. They said that my Crutchie was trash and that I should thank them for getting rid of him." I had to stop right there, because it's all recalling in my brain. I can see it happening in front of my very eyes.
I hear a sympathetic, "Oh Stray." come from Katherine. I guess that is my cue to keep telling the story.