A shows not so bad

We on the cat walk above the stage in the theater. Vaudeville music feels my ears. Davey pants and grabs my shoulder, "Does someone want to tell me why I'm runnin'? I got no one chasing me. Who was that guy?" 

I peel the hand off my shoulder and switch places with Jack. So now we are standing, Les, Jack, Davey, then me. Jack makes a motion for me to tell I go bug eyed and shake my head no. He sighs and then speaks.

"That there was Snyder the Spider. He's a real sweetie, he runs a jail for underaged kids called the Refuge. The more kids he brings in, the more the city pays out. The problem is, all the money goes straight into his own pocket. Do yourself a favor and stay clear of Snyder and the refuge, alright?" Couldn't have said it better myself.

I finish off his speech with, "Not to mention he a straight out jerk."

Davey looks at us like he was going to say something but he was cut off my great newsie aunt. "Hey, you up there, shoo! No kids allowed in the theater!"

"Not even us!" Jack yells down to her and moving into the light so she can see. I follow him so she knows I'm here. "Oh come on Miss Medda!" I shout along side him.

"Jack Kelly, man of mystery. Stray, the girl that runs it all. Get yourselves down here and give me a hug!" I love Medda she's like a mother figure in my life. If you an have that much confidence and have men dreaming every night, then you can run New York.

We do what she says. And the Jacobs follow us confused, well Davey not so much Les. I give her a hug then back off to let her hug Jack. "Jack introduce the new boys to Medda for me. I gotta use the W.C" 

I run off the stage and into the audience and to the lobby. I don't go through the lobby a lot because I always sneak in backstage. But that's what you have to do if you want to peer here.

I see a girl about a year older than me in a beautiful purple outfit that I maybe could have had if I stayed with my father. *laughs on the inside* I much rather prefer my pants, blouse, and vest. Something about her is familiar.

Oh! I got it! I saw her this morning! Jack was trying to flirt with her while I was talking  to Crutchie. Poor thing. She probably hates having a street rat talk to her, I mean just look at how she's dressed.

She walks up to me. Oh no! Can she read my thoughts?!?!?

"Excuse me can you show me to private box three? I have never been here, and you seem to know where your going." She is actually very polite. Gosh I guess people can be wrong. That's just saying never judge a newspaper by its headline.

"Yeah. Sure thing. And private box three? Right there's the best seats in the house." I say walking away expecting her to follow, she does and becomes interested to what I was saying. "Oh so you have seen shows here." She acts a little shocked and grabs her notepad. I wonder why she has that.

"Oh yes! It's amazing whenever I get to come down here." I say, I hear a scribble of pencil or pen to paper. I turn around to see her writing down what I just said. "Uhh?"

"Oh! Sorry, see I'm a reporter. Or my on way to being one. I just thought that would make a great quote for the review I'm writing." She says shaking my hand awkwardly in the middle of her rampage.

"You're reviewing the show?" I ask. She nods her head. An idea pops into my head. Could be a bad one, but what the hell? "Do you think you could give the show a really good review? Ms. Medda is running low on funds, she may makes jokes out of it, but it worries me."

She looks at me sympathetically and tries to offer me a smile. "I'm sorry, but I don't take bribes. It's against what I believe. Politics and all that. My fath-" she cut herself off, I don't know why she did.

She took what I said the wrong way. That's not what I'm saying. "I have nothing to bribe with. I'm  a Newsie money does come well to me."

"A girl newsie? That would make a wonderful story. Mind talking to me a little bit more." She says flipping to a bank page on her notepad. I look her in the eyes very confused, what? Writers are weird.

"How about this? You give Medda a good review then I'll give you a story for the papes." I say and a smirk creeps upon my face. I feel like a giddy storybook villain.

Sh thinks about It for a second and play with her pencil, then she looks at me with her lips curled in. Lets out a deep breath that blow her bangs up. "So I have to sit through another Vaudeville that isn't gonna kill me."

We both giggle. I don't know why, but it's nice to be around a girl close to my age. And not guys!

"Well I owe you....uh?" I say but then I realize. I never got her name. I just had a full out conversation and made a deal with a person I don't even know the name to.

"Katherine Pu- Plumber. And you would be?" She says with a smile. Katherine that is a really pretty name.

"They call me Stray." I say pulling down on my news boy hat tipping it, like many of the guys do.

"Well Stray. I'm sure we could be good
friends." She says laughing as she says it.

I process what she says and question it. It doesn't make sense. Like trying to pass of a week old pape as brand new. "Aren't you? I mean. I'm a street rat and you are-" 

"Not afraid of what people think." Katherine says cutting me off. And pushes her hair off of her shoulder.  She has attitude that I like about her.  "Well thank you Stray for showing me to my seat and I won't forget about the story you owe me."

"I guess I'll be seeing you around....Katherine." I can't believe this I might actually have a friend THATS A GIRL!!!!!  I can't remember the last time I talked feminine with anyone.

"Now I can't wait for this show I hear it's amazing." She says tiling her head at me. I laugh because she is actually going through my plan. Kinda funny if you think about it.

Can't wait to tell Jack and....JACK! I forgot about Jack, Davey, and Les!

I run backstage as fast as I can. I see Davey and Lea squatting behind the curtain watching Medda, I join them and enjoy the show. I hope Katherine does too.