David? Denise?

Me and Crutchie walks our separate ways apart from each other. I make my way towards my selling spot. I have grown found of that slab of concrete. It's been good for me.

But before I even get their I see Jack teaching the robes to the new boys. Les (who just ran off with some papers.) and Davey. He had no clue what he's doing. "Paper! Paper! Evening paper!" Where's the action? Where's the story? Does anyone even care about stage performance anymore?

Now Jack's turn to shine. "Sing him to sleep why don't ya." He picks his paper up flings it around in front of a man passing by. "Terrified flight from burning inferno! You heard the story right here!" He sold that pape faster that I could ever.

Davey being the sourpuss that I assume he is says, "You made that up!"

Jack never looked up from his money. "No. I said he heard it here. And he did."

New guy Davey straightens his tie and says, "My father told us not to lie."

"Well mine told me not to starve so we both got an education." Jack says. I run up to the newsies before punches are thrown. It's amazing they haven't killed each other yet. Hey opposites attract maybe they'll be friends!

"Hiya boys!" I say and Jack takes my hat of playfully and then throws it back to me. Davey just nods at my entrance.

Les comes running out of no where. "I sold my last pape!" He shouts with exciting in his voice. Jack smiles like a crazy kid. "Hey you're the girl from this morning!" He said referring to me.

Jack comes over and puts his arm around me. "Yup, this here is Stray the only goil newsie. Blessing to new boys of New York."

"You're over doing it Jack." I say playfully pushing him off of me. Davey looks at me and then finally opens his mouth, "I'm David. And you're real name is Stray?"

I have already gotten used to placing the name Davey with his face so I'm going to keep calling him that. "Of course not. It's my newsie name."

Les pulls on my pants leg. I look down at the little fella and he asks me, "Then what's your real name?" I look over to Jack. My real name is placed with bad memories that I can't get rid of. I remember what my dad said five months ago before I was taken to the Refuge.

"Father.." I try and say.

"You have pulled some crap, but this Denise is far worse than anything. Wearing rags. Living on the street with these rats." We say pointing to my best friends.

"They are no rats. They're my family. They cared for me more than you ever will." I snap at him, but that only resulted in a punch to the gut. Specs tries to run up and help me, but Oscar stops him kicking him back in line. I don't even want to see Crutchie's face.

"Family. You think an escaped confit, a smoker, and a crip. Is your family?" After he says that he laughs a big bully laugh that scares me. "You are Denise Sinclair. Not this Stray crap. No matter how hard you try and get rid of that. It will stay with you forever."

I snap out of this horrible retelling of the real life nightmare I lived. "You okay?" Les said with concern in his little squeaky voice.

"Yeah. Yeah. I'll just- I'll tell you about my name later kid." I say and rub his shoulder. "Les." He says correcting me, that makes me let out a little giggle. He sends me a happy little smile that makes me smile.

Les runs from goes up to a lady with one of Davey's newspapers. "Buy a pape, from a poor, orphan boy?" He says fake coughing.

The lady not knowing that he is totally lying through his teeth says, "Oh, you dear thing, of course I'll take a newspaper. Here's a dime" whoa! A dime!

"Born to breed." Jack mutters under his breath. That makes me laugh. Les comes running over showing off his shinny new dime that he earned himself. "This is so much better than school."

"Hey, how's about we divy up the money? We'll grab you some chow, find some place for you to spend the night." Jack says think of the two boys. Smart but he spoke too soon.

Davey perks up and says, "Thanks but our folks are waiting for is at the house."

I look at them and stutter out, "You have folks?" Every newsie's dream. Parents to take care of them.

"Doesn't everybody?" Les says without thinking. Davey slaps the top of his head. Me and Jack look at each other. I turn away and look at the ground,but Davey makes the mood lighter by saying, "Why don't you two have dinner with us and our folks they wouldn't mind one bit."

I make a subtle head shake no to Jack. It's not that I don't like them, it's jut being around a happy family when you know you will never have that.

Jack makes up an excuse for us. " Thanks for the invite, but, ah, I just remembered We got plans with the fellas. They're probably waitin' on us right now." He doesn't sound believable to me, but maybe it's because I've known him longer. Maybe the boys will fall for it.

Les look up and points to a shadowy figure. "Is that the guy you meeting?" He says. Just enough of the figure emerges for me to tell who it is. Synder! "KELLY! SINCLAIR!" He yells and Les jumps at the booming sound.

I grab the little Les' hand and dart out of there, Jack freaks and Davey is confused about everything. "Go for it! Run!" Jack yells at Davey who is lagging behind. Les looks at me worried but I lead everyone to the safest place I know.

We enter Irving Hall. Ms. Medda's theater.